Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Affirmation...does it work?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone used Affirmation self help? Does it work? My councilor told me today to try it and am curious just how "good" it works.
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

For me it keeps me calm and in a positive mind set.   If a negative thought tries to sneak in,  i start from the beginning.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I don't know what Affirmation officially is. I learned something that sounds similar when I studied yoga, and also a good number of years ago the book The Power of Positive Thinking was popular. I believe that if a person believes that something bad will happen that the chances are increased that it will- since the person may make choices that would lead to the bad event. Positive thinking gives more energy to moving toward a desired goal.

rugratsmommy4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM
That's pretty much what she wants me to do. She believes "your fat" was drilled into my head for so long by my ex that I can't see just how "not fat" I actually am now. I see the clothes shrinking and see mediums/10-12s fit, I just don't see that I'm not fat. Idk, a bit confused about all of it, or as my bff says "I'm mental" lol

Quoting Bmat:

I don't know what Affirmation officially is. I learned something that sounds similar when I studied yoga, and also a good number of years ago the book The Power of Positive Thinking was popular. I believe that if a person believes that something bad will happen that the chances are increased that it will- since the person may make choices that would lead to the bad event. Positive thinking gives more energy to moving toward a desired goal.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

*nodding*  A friend of mine believes that giving in to negative thoughts opens the door to negative energy. He says that positive thoughts enlist positive energy.

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

That's pretty much what she wants me to do. She believes "your fat" was drilled into my head for so long by my ex that I can't see just how "not fat" I actually am now. I see the clothes shrinking and see mediums/10-12s fit, I just don't see that I'm not fat. Idk, a bit confused about all of it, or as my bff says "I'm mental" lol

Quoting Bmat:

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Can you tell me more about the program. (Author etc)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

i think it's all about shifting your mindset. i was just telling my sister today that i noticed that when i look in the mirror now, i no longer think, man look how fat i am. i've been working out, i haven't lost a considerable amount of weight, but i'm not as hard on myself. in terms of my business i like the affirmation, "it's my time, i'm ready for the next step". and every time the doubts creep in, i stop and say it. i've taken some big chances and i really think its about to pay off, i feel like a big change is around the corner. sometimes you have to fake it til you make it, but thinking positively can't hurt right?

rugratsmommy4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I've dropped 60+ pounds in the last year and a half. I see the clothes shrinking and when I look in the mirror I see thin looking good. But away from the mirror I see fat. Lots and lots of fat. I was told to write down 5 things that are positive reguarding my weight loss and to say them 5x a day. I'm just unsure what to write and if it will work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

i think it's all about shifting your mindset. i was just telling my sister today that i noticed that when i look in the mirror now, i no longer think, man look how fat i am. i've been working out, i haven't lost a considerable amount of weight, but i'm not as hard on myself. in terms of my business i like the affirmation, "it's my time, i'm ready for the next step". and every time the doubts creep in, i stop and say it. i've taken some big chances and i really think its about to pay off, i feel like a big change is around the corner. sometimes you have to fake it til you make it, but thinking positively can't hurt right?

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I read a quote that I liked,something like "You wouldn't let a thief into your home to steal your things, why let thoughts in your mind that steal your joy?"

boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

wow 60 pounds is awesome! I understand what you're saying though, and I don't think that you're alone in that at all so please don't feel like you are. you need to shift your mindset to accept your new body. as far as what to write, that's a good question. i think i'd start with removing the word fat from your vocabulary. from now on think, I'm beautiful, and fit. You get more of what you put out there, so everytime you think of being fat, you create more thoughts about it, kwim? My trainer used to tell me, don't focus on not being fat, focus on being FIT. does that make sense? If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a pm, i'm around :) Also google leonie dawson, she has a lot of meditations, and she's really awesome. she has one called best day ever that i think might be helpful to you, so you can shift your mindset

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

I've dropped 60+ pounds in the last year and a half. I see the clothes shrinking and when I look in the mirror I see thin looking good. But away from the mirror I see fat. Lots and lots of fat. I was told to write down 5 things that are positive reguarding my weight loss and to say them 5x a day. I'm just unsure what to write and if it will work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

rugratsmommy4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

That is a very good question.  From what my councilor was saying, she believes I developed something called body dismoporphis disorder...I think that's what she said lol.  My ex was always telling me I was fat especially when I was pregnant with our kids and she feels that because of how low he had made me feel aside from the lowness of telling me I was fat that my mind has been changed into thinking that no matter what I am fat.  It actually pisses off DH and it's started to get to friends of mine.  They throw out comments of how I'm looking good, lost so much weight and as one put it "skinny bones", and everytime a compliment is said to me I get irratated and say if you say so because I don't see it.  I'm going to give this Affermation a shot to see.  My councilor is also giving me meditation cd copies to listen to at night to try to help change my mind back to normal, if normal is such a thing.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I read a quote that I liked,something like "You wouldn't let a thief into your home to steal your things, why let thoughts in your mind that steal your joy?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured