Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does This Make Me A Bad Parent?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 39 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your 2.5 yr old go to another country without you or your SO?

Options:

Yes

No

Other- Explain in comments

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

My mother in law wants to take my daughter to Mexico without me or her father for SIL's wedding. We can possibly go after we get our tax return but even if we couldn't afford to go I'm not letting my 2.5 yr old to go to Mexico without me. I don't care if Cozamel is safe or if the resort is private. It's not going to happen. So apparently this makes me a bad person because I'm a responsible parent.

Update: Thanks for all of the support. Another thing that made me mad about this whole thing is that she was talking to my family about it and making me out to be the bad guy. I talked it out with my grandfather today (he doesn't like to get in the middle of things) and he said he understood my concerns. I told him that 1. it's a wedding, I was crazy before my wedding and I know my SIL will be too. 2. If border patrol can't stop Cartels from getting in the USA then what makes you think that Cozamel is any different? It's part of their country not the US. I'm aware that my MIL can take care of her and won't let anything happen to her but that doesn't make me feel any better. She said if DD didn't go because we couldn't afford it that it would change our relationship. If it changes it's because she did it not me and I'm not the bad guy here as she is trying to make me out to be. My family is going to make sure that we can go which is nice and very helpful but it still doesn't change the fact that my MIL pissed me off, hurt my feelings and tried to manipulate me with my own child. 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
No, I wouldn't allow that. I am never more than 4 hours away from my children. Too much can happen.
Luckymommy1987
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Excuse my French but hell no lol. I wouldn't let mine go now and they are 4 and 7.
AdoptingMommy
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
My dd is 3 and she doesnt even spend the night anywhere! So NO WAY!
coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM
He'll no. Plus isn't there a bunch of cartels happening in Mexico( have gotten worse?)
KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I might allow it if it was my mom or siblings taking her but otherwise no.
busymommy2013
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
My sons grandparents live in Canada, and I won't let him go there without me. I am not comfortable with my son going out of the country without me until he's maybe in high school. I'd be too afraid if him not making his way back, even though I trust his grandparents. If he got lost or something, there is so much that I could not do to help.
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Probably not. Definitely not with my mil bc she can't even watch dd for an hour. My parents, I'd have to see and really think about, but honestly I doubt it. DD is 6 and we just let her go to Disney for a week with my mom and dad and that was HARD. Too many things could happen at that age and I'd just be racked with worry and doubt, so I would say no. It's too easy for her to get "overlooked" or something with all the wedding activity. I'd ask if mil would let you borrow the money so you could go and pay her back at tax time or maybe make it a Christmas gift or something? but yeah, my answer would mltn be no.

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

your asking women on this site lol? no i dont think anyone is a bad parent unless they hurt their kids, and do stupid things, I think he is your son and you are to let happen what you want, not anyone else, it maybe a fun little trip for him, but its up to you

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I wouldn't, not at that age. I love and trust my parents but 2.5 is still too young.
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM
I wouldn't in your case but if I lived in a border town and grandma lived on the other side... I might consider it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)