Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How can I put weight on my DS without feeding him crap??

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 56 Replies

In all honesty I am seriously considering changing pediatricians because of this one issue. My DS is 10yo (as of end of May this year). He has always been small. At his last appointment (July 17th this year) he weighed 47 pounds & is 50 & 3/4 inches (or 4 feet 2 inches) tall. I have talked to his doctor about it & he does not seem concerned about his weight. DS is probably the smallest in his grade (he will be going to 4th grade this fall). His doc tells me "I was a small kid when I was his age". Okay well, that was you & this is my son. His dad & I were not small for our age when we were his age. 

A few years ago I tracked what he ate by packing his lunch for school every day for 2 weeks & specifically asked the teachers to not throw anything away. I would pack a uncrustable sandwich, carrot sticks, string cheese, fruit cup, gogurt, & pediasure. Over the course of 2 weeks he gained a half pound. 

I do know that he likes smoothies, so I was thinking a protein smoothie every morning might help? 

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I think u should bring him to an endocrinologist. He seems really little- id b concerned about his body not metabolizing right.
I have a little guy too... While Im little- dad and family is not! At 6 he is size of 4 yr old.
Endo did xray to see that his bone age was 4.5 - which technically means late bloomer- did blood test to make sure food was metabolizing and there were no allergies.
It was reassuring.
Good luck
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Have you tried giving him full-fat products? Whole milk, full-fat cheese, etc. I would think that food that's very calorie-dense but not processed would help.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I agree with pp, time for a new doc. Dd is 6 1/2 and is 49" and 60 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Thank you! I will contact my insurance company & see if he needs a referal. 

Quoting SamMom912:

I think u should bring him to an endocrinologist. He seems really little- id b concerned about his body not metabolizing right.
I have a little guy too... While Im little- dad and family is not! At 6 he is size of 4 yr old.
Endo did xray to see that his bone age was 4.5 - which technically means late bloomer- did blood test to make sure food was metabolizing and there were no allergies.
It was reassuring.
Good luck

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I do buy whole milk rather than skim. 

Quoting jhslove:

Have you tried giving him full-fat products? Whole milk, full-fat cheese, etc. I would think that food that's very calorie-dense but not processed would help.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM
From what I see he matches in height and weight. That is what you want even if they are not on the chart. My dd was off the bottom of the height and weight chart from 2 months till she was a teenager. Did tons of testing. Never really found anything. She is 19 years old. 4 ft 10 and 92 lbs. Kinda looks like a 12 or 13 yo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM
My dd's bone age was off but testing never really came up with anything. She is just very tiny.

Quoting SamMom912:

It was reassuring.

Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this
You don't wanna fatten him up and have him be short and fat. Eating a ton may not make him grow up, but out instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I would see about going to the endocrinologist as a pp suggested. Even if all the results come back fine it'll help put your mind at ease. Some kids are small.
rhiannonaisling
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Our dr. recommended that we add an adult serving of protein powder to smoothies for our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)