Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

headache remedies, when it never ends.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a history of migraines. I'm on Thopomax daily. I watch what I eat n drink. I also take magnesium n drink tons of water. Nothing is working......wondering if there is something Im missing.....I have had a nonstop headache for going on 2wks. Thanks for any help!
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
lilmama3189
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard somewhere peppermint candies help & rolling a rolling pin under your feet help.
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Thanks....sounds about like me. I keep up the laundry but cleaning goes slack for a few days :( nothing seems to be helping this one n I just don't get it.....

Quoting HunnyBabie:

For one thing, I've always been told that anything like a headache, vomitting, etc that goes on for 2 wks to go to the dr!

That said:

One thing that helped me with migraine headaches was a cold washcloth across my eyes.  I don't know of anything that makes the pain go away except Vicadin (sp), and I felt worse taking that than I did with the headache, so.... I just suffered in as much silence as I could muster (not that everyone didn't know I had a headache, but as long as I didn't pointedly complain, my husband wouldn't try to get me to take something; he wanted to help or at least try to).

Another thing that might help is a shoulder massage.

Sometimes sex helped me get rid of one.

Most of the time, I just had to wait the two to five days until it went away.
and then clean the house like a banchee, b/c I knew I had less than 24 hours before the next one would start. :\

I hope you feel better soon, Hon!!! :)

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Imitrex doesn't work. Thanks. They are sporatic but cutting sugars has helped. N hormone variants don't help.

Quoting aj_mom:

keep a log of your headaces:

what you were doing when they started

what symptoms you had before they started

symptoms you are having with the migraine

where it hurts/what it feels like

Track everything and take it with you the next time you go to the dr. Have you tried IMITREX(sp?) this is what was perscribed to my DS for his headaches suppose to work wonders.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I've tried that n it made me very sick. *sigh* Thanks tho! Wonder if the Goody's powders would be better.....

Quoting HunnyBabie:

I agree with everything this poster said; however, this part:

Quoting Saphira1207:

do you use any kind of ibuprophen or acetaminophen when the headache starts? 

struck me.  I remember that sometimes I could get rid of a migraine by taking ibuprofen and then acetaminofen alternately every 2 hours (so that you're only taking each one every 4 hours, but so that you're taking something every 2 hours).  They act differently on the circulatory system and help pain in different ways; sometimes overlapping them every 2 hours can get you relief that you can't get from only one or the other.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:51 PM
We changed our entire familys diet over a year ago when hubby was found boarder line diabetic. I only cook fresh or frozen. We eat only whole grains. We grow our own veggies n kill our own meats. Its been a huge adjustment but easy once we got the hang of it. I also drink tons of water. If I get tired of water then I put a lemon in my glass or a crystal light packet. But normally I get 60-120oz of water daily, plus 2 cups black coffee in morning....got to havey coffee :) However....others are saying to take out gluten.....in clue how to do that unless I become a vegetarian.....maybe I need to look into gluten.....

Quoting HunnyBabie:

On the food front, it might help to only eat things that grow that way.  Obviously, I'm not talking about eating raw meat, but avoiding foods that are already processed will help you avoid some of the preservatives (and MSG) that are usually a trigger for most migrain sufferers.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I have a heavy pain pill for migraines but can't take it when hubby is gone to work (he works night shift). OTC meds don't help, so I don't take them. I know Topomax is preventative, I'm also on other preventative meds for asthma (inhaler n nose spray).

I don't really snack any more n have cut out big sugars. Maybe I need to get deeper in the ingredients. I just don't have time :( ugh!!! Thanks!

Quoting Saphira1207:

imitrex nasal spray helps my son when he has a headache that won't go away with ibuprophen.

do you use any kind of ibuprophen or acetaminophen when the headache starts?  Topamax is a preventative, it won't take the headaches away after they start.  That's why it's a daily thing, like an allergy pill.  It helps prevent the issue from starting but won't keep it away entirely, that's why they make the other stuff.

I know you said you watch what you eat but maybe something got into it without your knowledge?  I know I have to be extra careful with a lot of the snacks I buy.  My son likes cheez-its but some versions have msg and some don't.  I have to check every box i put in the cart.  Same with almost anything boxed.  I don't know about you but to me it can be a real pain sometimes.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!!!! I drink 60-120oz daily ;) I prefer water.....

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I was going to suggest more water but then I re-read lol.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Been trying to get my neuro. Its difficult sometimes when its just for questions n I can't go in this week to see her. I don't take the OTC meds b/c they don't work. The prescribed med I have I can't take unless hubby is off work b/c I'm not comfortable with two kids in the house n being knocked out. I usually take Fiorecept with a bad migraine(and even then it won't go away), but with long aching headaches nothing knocks it out that I've found yet......

Quoting anxiousschk:

I LOVE Topomax.  I miss it (bf'ing).

What do you take for migraines once they start?  

What have you tried with this one? 

Imitrex doesn't work for me, I take Relpax.  That stuff is awesome.  

If I can't take that then it's advil and benadryl and caffine (coke/coffee....the more the better). 

Everyone who suffers has to find what works best for them.  If you've still got it tomorrow, try the neuro again.  Two weeks is especially long for any type of migraine.  (as I'm sure you know:)  

Karen_S
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be a bother, but you can try using a migraine trigger tracking app for a while - see http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/top-migraine-iphone-android-apps#1 for a list.  They can help you identify any triggers, like specific food, that you don't already know about. Other than that, it may be time to go back to your doc and talk about a different preventative. I get migraines, too, so I feel for you - 2 weeks is a killer!

trayseehalf
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Please call your doctor or go in. I had a brain aneurysm last  Father's Day. I had been having horrible migraines and they just got worse. I had a seizure and passed out on our way to the hospital. We lived out in the country at the time. They had to fly me to another town to have emergency surgery. I was in the hospital for 2 months. In May they had to put a shunt in because I had fluid on my brain. I have a CT Scan on Thursday because of pain in my abdomen. Good Luck!!

Pattiann236
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

It's funny, I just saw on TV the other day , believe it or not Getting "brain freeze" can stop a migraine.  Can't hurt, sorry it does hurt, I, myself never get headaches, I just give them.  I know this is serious all 5 of my grown children get migraines. Hope this helps.   pattiann236

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN