Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Disipline?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

Alright ladies, I need your help.

My dd is going to be 7 months old however she is very well advanced for her age, completing all her milestones 1-3 months before she should be. Anyways my question is how do i make her understand yes from no?

As in no you may not do that or no don't eat that and yes we are going to play, yes you can eat that etc

Right now when I say no she just immedietly looks at me and gives me a huge grin, its cute I'll admit, and it will probably be her cuteness that gets her out of trouble most of the time even though it shouldn't.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

She at this age understands tone rather than the words i think.  So when you say no, use a low, firm tone , yes can be a high, bouncy tone.   Redirection works best for getting them out of a behavior that is not appropriate like eating a cats tail.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
2 moms liked this

That's normal for her age. Just make the limits real and strong. Such as a gate on the kitchen so she can't get in there and get hurt or eat something you don't give to her.

Distraction works well at this age. "No." Doesn't work so well.

AleashaJ
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I try distractions lol I really do it just seems that she will play with whatever I giveher for 5 minutes then immediately try to go back to what I told her no.. Lol oh well she is only a baby, I'm not expecting miracles :) thank youladies, I was really expecting to get bashed.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

That's normal for her age. Just make the limits real and strong. Such as a gate on the kitchen so she can't get in there and get hurt or eat something you don't give to her.

Distraction works well at this age. "No." Doesn't work so well.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Most of the mean moms now hang out in confessions rather than here which makes it easier for us nice ones to help those who ask for advice.  This age is not known for long concentration either.  You have to do circuits of 5 minute activities.  That is why baby walkers or bouncers have 20 different toys on them, to keep the baby/child occupied longer.  Has she discovered herself in a mirror yet?

Quoting AleashaJ:

I try distractions lol I really do it just seems that she will play with whatever I giveher for 5 minutes then immediately try to go back to what I told her no.. Lol oh well she is only a baby, I'm not expecting miracles :) thank youladies, I was really expecting to get bashed.

wolfybaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM
this is the age of redirection and distraction. but dont get me wrong, enforce rules verbally, too! i told my daughter things like, "we dont play with outlets" or "that is not for abby!" since she was able to grab things she shouldnt have. the repetition set a base for disciplining later, and at 2 she responds well to the same phrases. also, check out the books the Happiest Baby on the Block and the Happiest Toddler on the Block. treasures.
KGanger
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Well, honestly it depends on your views on discipline. I have my ways, and other people have theirs. If they get really out of hand, just lightly smack their hands, not their butts. Don't make them fear you. My son is the same way and his bedtime now has become a nightmare. The only way to get him to bed now is to let him cry it out in his crib and walk away and do some chores. Some moms will find that harsh but different tactics work for different babies. Know your baby, and do what you think is best.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM

you want to discipline a 7mos old??  you need some parenting classes...seriously

AleashaJ
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Oh I see well that is good :) yes she has discovered herself in a mirror, she has also found her shadow when it's sunny or whatever it's so cute.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Most of the mean moms now hang out in confessions rather than here which makes it easier for us nice ones to help those who ask for advice.  This age is not known for long concentration either.  You have to do circuits of 5 minute activities.  That is why baby walkers or bouncers have 20 different toys on them, to keep the baby/child occupied longer.  Has she discovered herself in a mirror yet?

Quoting AleashaJ:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Oh I use to love putting hats on my little guy.. He would look at himself with the hat on and laugh... Such fun! 

Hes 7 now... So its fart and burp noises.. And any word with poop or dood in it... Lol

as far as disciplining your little one. Im a redirector. When getting into things she shouldnt, pick her up and move her.  If she is putting things in her mouth, she is just exploring them, as long as its safe (and semi clean) id let her. Its how she learns. Let her explore for a few seconds.. And then give her something else. Id most likely (since im a talker) when she is eating, say yummy, delicious, tasty and the like.. Talk about texture and color... And when she is mouthing non food, say yucky, not food.. Drum stick for playing drums.. Making noise. 

I also like to give the reasons why.. But thats me. Climbing up stairs alone, i would say, not alone.. Youll get hurt, wait for help... I find my son even today listens more because he knows Im not just saying NO willy nilly to exert power and control. Im saying no for a reason.... He does question when I do now.. But, thats a different post... Lol

I always talked and read to my son.. Since he was an infant! And he has the vocabulary of a 4th grader (if not more) the other day, we were driving with friends.. There was a gray cloud in the sky and he remarked; hmmm, the sky is looking ominous. Lol... And when my friends son got upset about something silly, my son said, "youre ok, its no anapocalyptical   event. Its a mole hill, try not to make a mountain. Its ok." 

I love it! 

Quoting AleashaJ:

Oh I see well that is good :) yes she has discovered herself in a mirror, she has also found her shadow when it's sunny or whatever it's so cute.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting AleashaJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)