Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this sunburn or sun poisoning? *update!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 72 Replies

Today I took my daughter to the pool in our neighborhood for about 45 minutes. I lathered her up in sun screen and took her down there in just her swimmy.

Now, several hours later, she has a swollen rash on her face and has patches of hot red skin on her chest (pic is below).

I called her pedi who just said to give her some benadryl and watch her for a little. She is 11 weeks old.

Has this happened to any of you? Is there anything I can do to make her feel better? So far I have put aloe on her and it seems to make it less irritated. Thank you mommies!!

Thanks for everyone's help! I started replying to all of the answers I got but it was too much, so I'm just going to do an update!

I got dd an appointment at her pediatrician today and she said it wasnt life threatening or anything like that. She said it looked like a severe allergic reacion as well as an eczema flare up. She gave me some hydrocortizon to put on it and Eucerin. Hopefully the rash goes away! Thanks for all the advice for those who actually gave it without being rude. It was much appreciated!

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kahla11
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Here is a bump for you since I have no idea. I have not taken any of my kids swimming until they where over a year old. I do hope your little one gets better.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 AM

That does not look like it is related to sunburn or poisoning at all.  It looks like something completely different.

Mel0dy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

That does not look like it is related to sunburn or poisoning at all.  It looks like something completely different.

I agree. Maybe something that was in the pool?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Exactly. If it isn't gone by tomorrow take her in to see her pediatrician. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Or the sunscreen

Quoting Mel0dy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I agree. Maybe something that was in the pool?

achorney
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

That's a rash. it has nothing to do with being in the sun. Is she reacting to the chlorine in the pool? 

Sun poisoning looks like the flu and a bad sunburn, the body goes into a shock mode. Dry mouth, excessive sweating or none at all, dizzy, delerious, nauseaus, it's a joy. (sarcasm) 

ellseee94
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:05 AM

That's what my boyfriend and I were thinking too. Maybe they treated the pool today and it affected her. It's just weird that it showed up 5 hours later. Her breathing is fine, and her temperament in normal. She spit up a few times earlier when I gave her pedialyte (which she almost never does) and thats what worried me in the first place. I'll have to post another picture of her face and shoulder.

Quoting achorney:

That's a rash. it has nothing to do with being in the sun. Is she reacting to the chlorine in the pool? 

Sun poisoning looks like the flu and a bad sunburn, the body goes into a shock mode. Dry mouth, excessive sweating or none at all, dizzy, delerious, nauseaus, it's a joy. (sarcasm) 

ellseee94
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Mobile Photo

This is her shoulder/side of face.
achorney
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

An allergy reaction could take up to 12 hours to appear. I think people expect allergies to be always instantaneous, but contact dermatitis reactions manifest after the body has had time to process the exposures. Could be within minutes, might be hours, but they tend to continue until the body is told to stop producing histamine (hence the benedryl)

I'm allergic to epoxy based solvents. if i inhale the fumes, it'll be hours before i start to break out and rash up, but I promise, i'll be in the emergency room before the end of the night.

Quoting ellseee94:

That's what my boyfriend and I were thinking too. Maybe they treated the pool today and it affected her. It's just weird that it showed up 5 hours later. Her breathing is fine, and her temperament in normal. She spit up a few times earlier when I gave her pedialyte (which she almost never does) and thats what worried me in the first place. I'll have to post another picture of her face and shoulder.

Quoting achorney:

ellseee94
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Okay. Well if her temperament is normal and she's breathing regularly do you still think I need to take her to the emergency room? Her pediatrician seemed kind of annoyed that I was even calling about it. I guess it is pretty late though.

Quoting achorney:

An allergy reaction could take up to 12 hours to appear. I think people expect allergies to be always instantaneous, but contact dermatitis reactions manifest after the body has had time to process the exposures. Could be within minutes, might be hours, but they tend to continue until the body is told to stop producing histamine (hence the benedryl)

I'm allergic to epoxy based solvents. if i inhale the fumes, it'll be hours before i start to break out and rash up, but I promise, i'll be in the emergency room before the end of the night.

Quoting ellseee94:

Quoting achorney:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured