Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby has a fever

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM
  • 15 Replies
So my 3 month old has been having diarrhea and has been real fussy he also has a runny nose and a slight cough I took his temperature because he felt warm and it was 99°F I gave him baby Tylenol and his temp does not go up but it stays the same don't know what to do please help
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

im not sure what the danger zone is for newborns, but try not to give medicine. the body *needs* to be hot to kill off the bug that is making him sick. giving medicine prolongs the illness and could make him sicker overall. 

you can put on a humidifier for his cough and keep him nice and warm. and nurse!

KGanger
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Take him to the pediatricians tomorrow. And keep an ear out for him tonight. I was always told that 99 is normal for a baby, if they hit past 100.5 to take them in. 3 months anything can be happening from ear infection, to common cold, to even early teething.  make sure you get some pedialyte to keep baby hydrated, and make sure you have some tummy relaxer medicine, incase they might be having a tummy problem. Dirrhea could be from anything as well. Just make sure you go to a pediatrician immediately.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:57 AM
2 moms liked this

99 is not high enough to give tylenol for in my opinion.  Keep him hydrated with formula or breastmilk.  Wipe him down with a room temp. damp cloth to help cool his body down.  A steamy bathroom can help break up the cough as well as opening a window for fresh air.

jocelyn_20
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Thank you I will be taking him in tomorrow and I went to buy pedialyte I really appreciate your advice

Quoting KGanger:

Take him to the pediatricians tomorrow. And keep an ear out for him tonight. I was always told that 99 is normal for a baby, if they hit past 100.5 to take them in. 3 months anything can be happening from ear infection, to common cold, to even early teething.  make sure you get some pedialyte to keep baby hydrated, and make sure you have some tummy relaxer medicine, incase they might be having a tummy problem. Dirrhea could be from anything as well. Just make sure you go to a pediatrician immediately.

jocelyn_20
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Thank you for your advice I feel like a first time mom even though hes my second child I really do appreciate your advice it really does help

Quoting frndlyfn:

99 is not high enough to give tylenol for in my opinion.  Keep him hydrated with formula or breastmilk.  Wipe him down with a room temp. damp cloth to help cool his body down.  A steamy bathroom can help break up the cough as well as opening a window for fresh air.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:23 AM
99 is not a fever. Just watch him and keep nursing or giving him formula.
jocelyn_20
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Thanks and I have him right next to me in his bassinet I'm a little scared to leave him in his crib

Quoting Mom2Just1:

99 is not a fever. Just watch him and keep nursing or giving him formula.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this

No worries.  I think we all fell like we are starting over with each new baby.  Their first illness is the most stressful.

Quoting jocelyn_20:

Thank you for your advice I feel like a first time mom even though hes my second child I really do appreciate your advice it really does help

Quoting frndlyfn:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM
99 is not a fever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jocelyn_20
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I took him to his pediatrician and he has a upper respiratory infection. She said to keep him hydrated and prop up the mattress when he sleeps so he wont have a hard time breathing at night
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)