Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Husband moved out-small update

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
  • 45 Replies
2 moms liked this

PIOG...I came home from work a few days ago and I went to change out of my work clothes and noticed my husband packed up and left. No warning, nothing. He's done this is the past but it usually only lasted a few days, I was an idiot for taking him back. He just went back to work pt after being on SSDI for the past 6 yrs. He was changing quickly soon after he went back to work.

Truth be told he actually did us a favor by doing so. He has put us into financial debt with his spending habits. I have bill collectors he screwed calling constantly. Its always been a problem. I am only able to work pt (I have RA) and it was always he paid the rent and utilities and I cover groceries and our sons needs.

I tracked him down at his work place, he said we're done, I have a lawyer and he is drawing up divorce papers. I was shocked that he moved to divorce so fast. He still get SSDI and he gets 900 for our son through them. He said I will start to receive the 900 for CS to be used towards rent.  More then fair I guess.

He said his lawyer said it was cut and dry since our son is 16 and we have no property ect. He said I don't need a lawyer, his lawyer said he will draw up an agreement for the 900 and all I have to do is sign it and then we'll go to court and its done. Yesterday he said he needed my pay stub and my 401 statement. I not sure why. I really can't afford a lawyer but I do have one, he has screwed me over so many time over the years I don't trust that its that easy. Should I lawyer up?

UPDATE

His lawyer is on vacation and mine is in the process of moving. I asked why his lawyer needed my info, he said it he needed the 401 for in the event of my death he gets half and our son gets the rest. I said your looking to bank on my death. But God forbid if something should happen to him he has zero, he took his 401 as cash out, at the time he got $23.000 when he left his job 6 yrs ago and blew it all in 3 months. He bought a 10.000 car that he only put down so much for and  that ended up getting repo'd. He said "I know you don't check your 401 statements but the last time I looked you had $???? .  (I can't remember the amount). I was pissed that he opened my statement.

He said his lawyer doesn't want him to give me anymore than the SSI. He said it didn't matter, the lawyer works for him and he won't budge on his decision to pay off the household bills that he let go. I don't know how he can benefit with my pay stub, I took home 159.00 this week. I range from that to 167.00 if I work on Sundays, (our state doesn't recognize time 1/2 on Sundays, we get 10%. After gas and utilities it leaves me pretty much nothing. My RA meds cost 80 dollars every 3 month, plus my other meds.

Thankfully my name isn't on any of his debts. We have never had joint anything. When it comes to money its like a drug to him. He has OCD among other undiagnosed issues but won't admit that he has a problem. He sees a therapist he claimed to help him deal with his need to spend. While cleaning out under the bed he had all these empty boxes from Amazon over 30. Four watches that run over 100.00 a piece, he stated collecting military knives I found 4 boxes for those but I know he has purchased more.

I hope I can get hold of my lawyer soon.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM
7 moms liked this

yes, protect yourself...if you wont, no one will

karenax
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Thank you. I so confused, my head is scrambling.

Quoting emmy526:

yes, protect yourself...if you wont, no one will

WandaSue
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM

definately get one! good luck mama

karenax
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Thank you...

Quoting WandaSue:

definately get one! good luck mama

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Yep
emaylerocks76
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
6 moms liked this

I would not give him that. You are no longer "together" and I would not trust anything that his lawyer says. I would be very aware of what is going on and tell him to have his lawyer supeona that information. Otherwise, it is none of his business.  Meanwhile, I would forward all collection calls and collection bills TO his lawyers office.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Get a lawyer. It is a must.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dalbax2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM

GET A LAWYER!!!!!

teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, without a doubt - get an attorney before handing over any financials. 

Go to womenslaw.org and find info for your state.  They will have advice, law information, tips, and links for low cost lawyers in your area.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

YES YES!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN