Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Trendy Juice Cleanse Diets Are More Dangerous Than You Think

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

Trendy Juice Cleanse Diets Are More Dangerous Than You Think

by Deborah Cruz

juice cleanseHave you ever been on a cleanse? Chances are that if you are over the age of 30, you have been. Trendy cleanses are the hottest rage. I guess it’s better than those high colonics that were the rage in weight loss just a few short years ago.

Many people go on juice cleanses, hoping to detoxify their bodies and shed a few pounds. But the problem is an unbalanced diet is not a healthy way to detoxify or lose weight. It’s a good way to malnourish yourself. Yet, trendy cleanses have grown to a $5 billion industry thanks to celebrities that swear they got their perfect bodies that way. When it doesn't work, we just assume we did something wrong.

If you ask most people who have been on a cleanse, they will tell you that the cleanse made them feel great. They feel great because they know they are restricting their caloric intake. Common sense tells you that if you don’t eat, you lose weight. Come on, those of us who have suffered from eating disorders know this elation all to well. It’s a false sense of accomplishment. It’s proactivity in the worst way. It’s punishing your body to achieve some mythical body type that is ultimately unattainable. It is plain and simply dangerous.

Most people believe they can feel toxins leaving their body. They believe they feel this because this is what the celebrity endorsements in the commercial have told them will happen. What is really happening is that they are starving themselves and probably getting lightheaded.

Experts disagree saying that there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that cleanses remove toxins from your body. In fact, the experts warn people that cleanses are too restrictive and deplete your nutritional resources. Instead of making your body better and stronger, which is what people are hoping to achieve, cleanses make your body weaker and susceptible to illness and injury.

A 3 day cleanse may help psychologically prepare a person to start a diet but physically it is doing nothing but starving you. In case you didn’t already know this, starvation causes your body to go into desperation mode and hold onto fats.

I won’t lie, I fell for it. I tried a ten day cleanse twice and both times I felt no bursts of energy. What I did feel was tired and hungry. My sister recently did a 10 day cleanse, which she followed up with a complete lifestyle change, and she lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Then, by changing her eating habits and upping her workout regime she has now lost a total of 30 pounds in the course of 3 months. She looks great and feels amazing. Only I believe that her weight loss has a lot more to do with her lifestyle change and not much to do with the cleanse at all but it did jumpstart her psychological diet and that made the rest easier.

I find it interesting that its taken this long to debunk the cleanse myth by proving that it has no effect or benefit on your weight loss progress. It's basically starving yourself or enduring disgusting drinks for no reason. In fact, it may be harmful to your health. So why is it a 5 billion dollar a year industry? Because we are all so desperate, we would swallow shards of glass if someone told us that it would help us lose 10 pounds. We don’t want to put in the time and effort to change our lifestyle, so we prefer to intensely punish ourselves for days. Then we ultimately go back to supersizing our foods, drinking alcohol, and living a sedentary way of life.

Would you do a cleanse if someone told you that you could lose 10 pounds in ten days?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I think I would not. Because I don't want to mess up my health.  I'm glad you posted this since I've seen the cleanses advertised but didn't know what they were about.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Any fad, quick liquid diets are not good. Only ones that are good are lower portion, low fat diets. Not a diet, a lifestyle change. Has to be forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Nope, never had a desire to do a "cleanse"

BrookieCookie1
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No, I just don't eat-EVER and that's done wonders for my figure. If you've ever seen wild carrots aka, queen anne's lace flowers, brewing some of the closed, post bloom floral heads (about 4 or 5 to a gallon) is a wonderful detoxifant. However, herbal medicine does not work like psychotropics (i.e. if 4 work well  in a gallon, then ten in two glass is great, etc). I gave myself the most awful cramping and diarrhea this way.

Personally, I find all shapes and sizes of people to be attractive, and I've met plenty of big sexy women. But, I just feel like the biggest fattest piece of shit if I go over a size 4-6, which sucks, because it literally means I can eat about nothing, but for me, it's better than hating myself. Yep, I have BIG issues!

kjc143
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I tried the Master Cleanse for ONE DAY in college because I was 40-50 lbs overweight.  It wasn't until a few years later when I accepted myself for who I was/am and decided to focus on being healthy (read: made a lifestyle change) that I began to lose weight.  And I honestly wasn't even trying to lose weight at that point, I believed that wasn't possible.  But I wanted to live longer so I agree with the OP lifestyle change vs fad diet or weight loss pill is definitely the way to go.  From the other side of it: my sister used Alli and a cousin who used one of the cleanses, they both lost amazing amounts of weight quickly, but now less than 5 yrs later they both have the weight back. 

threenorns
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM

the only thing you need for "detoxing" is a healthy liver.  that's what it does.  that's its job.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'm doing a juice fast for more reasons than just weight.  My doctors are monitoring, though, and collecting information.  We'll see if there is any truth to this for me.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Anything overboard is bad. Thought that was known by now lol.
2lilmamas
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I was thinking about it at one point but not anymore.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN