• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should I start potty training my son?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 17 Replies

Mobile Photo

He's 1 (18 months) he's starting to grab at himself and I'm thinking he might be ready. And how do I teach him how to hold and aim without it being akword for me.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM

When he shows interest in the potty.  

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Thelmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

When my son was this age, I sat him on the toilet backwards, no muss, no fuss and no worry about aim.  LOL  There are suggestions on baby center like the previous poster posted.  Look there for advice too aon holding and aiming.  It isn't really that awkward since you have been changing him since birth. They catch on quick too.  

Ali5683
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

When he's ready. Every child is different. Introduce the idea to him and you'll then know if he's truly ready.

angiejones256
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok my mil told me to try fruit loops in the toilet and tell him aim there I'm going to try that. Thank u

Quoting Thelmama:

When my son was this age, I sat him on the toilet backwards, no muss, no fuss and no worry about aim.  LOL  There are suggestions on baby center like the previous poster posted.  Look there for advice too aon holding and aiming.  It isn't really that awkward since you have been changing him since birth. They catch on quick too.  

Mater-three
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM
All baby boys grab at themselves. It's in the gender. Does he show any other signs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I have been told by many doctors that many boys won't be ready until closer to age 3.  If you think he might be ready then there is no harm in trying but I definitely wouldn't push it at such a young age.  I always waited until there is no doubt that mine were ready and they could verbalize it and knew when they needed to go and such.  Because they were so ready they were potty trained in like a week.  As for his aim, all of mine started sitting down and then once they were older and had more control and were taller then they got to stand up.  When they were little and sitting down I would hold it down for them.

angiejones256
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Thank u were actually very helpful. =)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I have been told by many doctors that many boys won't be ready until closer to age 3.  If you think he might be ready then there is no harm in trying but I definitely wouldn't push it at such a young age.  I always waited until there is no doubt that mine were ready and they could verbalize it and knew when they needed to go and such.  Because they were so ready they were potty trained in like a week.  As for his aim, all of mine started sitting down and then once they were older and had more control and were taller then they got to stand up.  When they were little and sitting down I would hold it down for them.

angiejones256
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Not really I tired sitting him on the potty one day but he just looked at me like what r u doing lol so I think I'll wait

Quoting Mater-three:

All baby boys grab at themselves. It's in the gender. Does he show any other signs?

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:31 PM

You are welcome!  I have three boys so I know how interesting they can be, lol.

Quoting angiejones256:

Thank u were actually very helpful. =)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

yorkiemaz
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

my son is 2 n half and i have only just started potty training him a few days ago...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)