• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So furious with our landlord(s) Update in blue

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

So to begin my hubby got offered a job that we thought he was going to take 2 weeks ago. We informed our landlord we would be moving out and he said ok. So last week we called our landlord back and said we werent going to be moving at all. He said that that was fine but he sold the house to his son. My husband asked what that meant of us and the landlord said, NOTHING. Just keep paying rent in the same building and thats it. That he was just informing us of the change. While now the son called my husband this morning and informed him that he rented the house out and wanted to know what day we were leaving. My husband confused asked him if his father let him know that we werent moving and he said NO and then proceded to tell my hubby that he would do what he can to find us another house but he couldnt gauruntee that it would be the same size nor could he garuntee it would even be the right size for our family. He said we had NO choice in the matter that we had to move out reguardless.

I called BOTH the son and the father and they basically refused to work with me said they didnt even know if they could find a house much less a house in the school district, in the same town, and also one that was three bedrooms or bigger. I can not even begin to explain how infuriated I am with the situation. Is this even fair at all? And BTW we have a month to month rental agreement that states NOTHING on this matter. So now I do not even know what to do. I also asked if they were going to provide moving costs and they said NO.

Not to mention that the people they will be renting to have NEVER SEEN THE HOUSE. apparently they are coming from out of state and the "new" owner refuses to tell them they can not rent this house.

So after a few days of deliberating I finally got a call from the dad who is the original landlord of the house. He said he felt pretty aweful after I called him and the son the other day and said he didnt think what the son was doing was right. And he was supposed to have a meeting with him the next day to figure it all out.  The dad didnt agree with the way the son rented the house out , which was over the phone, he had never even met the couple that was going to rent it. So he told the son he couldnt rent it out without meeting the people and that was now going to be one of the conditions of the son purchasing the house. I guess he listened to his dad and they decided they we were going to continue to rent the house!

I guess my angry phone calls paid off.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Do you have a lease? Was notice given in writing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
You told them you were moving out so....
orliesmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I stated above we have a MONTH TO MONTH rental agreement. I wrote up a document originally infoming them we were moving and the dad said we didnt have to take it in it would be fine. Now we are being told we have to be out by the 15

Quoting conniejo75:

Do you have a lease? Was notice given in writing?

orliesmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM

So nothing I hardly see how this is fair to us. The son and the dad had no comunication with each other the dad did not even inform the son we WERENT moving so I dont see how we are supposed to be help responsible.

Quoting bmw29:

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM
You said you were moving out, they proceeded to find another renter. When you were informed you had a new landlord it was on you to make contact with him.

Quoting orliesmom:

So nothing I hardly see how this is fair to us. The son and the dad had no comunication with each other the dad did not even inform the son we WERENT moving so I dont see how we are supposed to be help responsible.

Quoting bmw29:

orliesmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Did you not read my post at all? I DID contact our landlord he said that nothing needs to be done on our part he said he would give me all his sons information when the house fully transferred ownership. I even went in and paid the august rent and the son told me NOTHING at all . He handles the rent payments.

Quoting bmw29:

You said you were moving out, they proceeded to find another renter. When you were informed you had a new landlord it was on you to make contact with him.

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting bmw29:

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I think it would make more sense for them to find a different house for the other people and leave you where you are. Why move two people when you could just move one.

You told him you weren't moving, but from what you said the dad made it sound like all was well. I would have felt the same as you. It may have been a good idea to call the son, but it seemed to be taken care of.

If they are making you move I would find somewhere else with a new landlord..
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM
You have a month to month lease but only gave a two weeks notice but you want them to accomodate to your situation? That is not their responsibility at all. As for moving costs, you should already have that since you were already planning to move.
AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this

With a month-to-month lease, your landlord can give you 30 days written notice to vacate.  I would be surprised if that's not in your lease agreement.  If the son gives you written notice today, you have 30 days to find a new place.  All you need to do is tell the son that you want to stay, but when he gives you written notice you'll be out in 30 days if that's what he really wants.  If you've been good tennants and always paid your rent on time, the son might reconsider because who knows what the new people will be like as tennants.  But it's really up to him.  He doesn't have to give you any reason to tell you to be gone in 30 days.  If you want a more secure arrangement, you need to sign a 1-year (or longer) lease.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

While I feel for you and it definitely stinks that you have to find a new place, you did give notice originally so maybe they had already started looking for another renter when you did that.  It stinks that the dad and the son didn't have good communication but when the dad said he sold it to his son probably it would have been best to start talking to the new landlord about how you were going to stay and such.  Good luck looking for something else.  Hugs to you, moving sucks, for sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)