Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

22-month-old throwing her lovey out of the crib....advice?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

So, my 22-month-old daughter, who is typically a GREAT sleeper, has started this lovely new game of throwing her Elmo doll out of the crib and then getting upset when she can't get it back. The way I see it, I have three options:

1) Keep going in and giving it back to her, possibly reinforcing the behavior

2) Don't go in at all and hope she figures out that throwing Elmo = no more Elmo

3) Go in once or twice, give it back with no eye contact and stay really boring, and hope she gets the picture that this isn't going to be a good way to get attention.

Has anyone had experience with this? How did you handle it? Thanks!

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jhslove
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

BUMP!

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Go in once and give it back to her, when you do tell her "Do NOT throw it out again" If she does it again, don't go back in and give it to her.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Repeat behavior like that with you giving it right back just says its ok. I'd do it once tell her no more and if you do then you can have Elmo when you wake up and stick to it
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

This made me smile because my daughter went through this phase around 18 months or so. Choice number 3 is what I did. I told her, "This is the last time mommy will pick lovey up. If you throw her, no more lovey. " She got the hint after a night or 2.

Decemberlov
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

#2 all the way

spizzarks1978
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

#3 but only once.  When you put her down explain to her that you will only come pick up lovey one time and that's it...... I would only do that for about a week or 2, after that then it stays there.  she is just playing you to see how many times you will pick it up.  The longer you allow it, the more and more she will do it.  Prove to her at an early age that you are the boss.  She will get the idea and it will sink in that she can't play you like a fiddle

AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

4) Transition her out of the crib.  She's old enough for a real bed.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM

This is just me but I would let her throw it and not go in for a few minutes and let her cry.  Then when you do go in make sure you tell her that if she throws it then she won't have it.  I don't think I would skip right away to not giving it back to her at all, but I would definitely make her wait awhile so she knows that not getting it back is a possibility.

jhslove
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Thanks, everyone! I did a mix of #2 and #3 and the last two times I've gone into her room after a nap or in the morning, Elmo was still in the crib. So I think she's getting the picture.   :)

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Don't give it back. Even if you go in for something else, don't pick up the doll until the next bed-time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)