Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age..

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: What age should a child get a cell phone?

Options:

middle school

high school

other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

At what age did you or will you give you child a cell phone??

me and dh disagree on this so i was just wondering what other moms and dads have tried. our dd is on 3 but the conversation came up because of a movie. anyway i said she should get one sometime in middle school depending on if she does sports/clubs after school, he said sophomore year in high school.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bpryce
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I got a prepaid phone for my 13th birthday. As long as my kid (currently theyre both under 3) pays for it I don't see anything wrong with letting them have one
Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

When it's convenient for me because they are doing things away from home so much.

outtamymynd
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM
There was no set age. The oldest two got theirs at 11 and 12. The middle got hers at 9. They all started as basic phone but now the teenagers have smart phones (they are 17 & 18 now)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM
In a few years people are not going to have house phones anymore. There is no certain age but I think around middle school is when my child would get one. More so they could stay in contact with me. You can have certain controls on the phone so they can only corset certain people.
missmonkeysma
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

thats what i got when i was 12. i would always be doing something after school or on the weekends so my mom thought it would be a good idea.

my dh got a phone when he was 16 from his grandparents.

Quoting bpryce:

I got a prepaid phone for my 13th birthday. As long as my kid (currently theyre both under 3) pays for it I don't see anything wrong with letting them have one

spizzarks1978
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I chose 'other' because my children will get their own cell phones when THEY can afford to pay for it!!!  It's not a life threatening thing for kids to have cell phones.  What ever happened to mom's communicating with each other.  I don't care if my kids are at a friends house.  I'd call the mom, a responsible adult, not the child anyway.  Humans have survived for many many years without them, how come all of a sudden kids think they can't live without it? 

momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM

When they are away from us enough to need to be in contact with us. We don't have a set age for it. They are currently 7.5 and 5 though so they don't need one.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

One little girl I knew had a cellphone at age 1 yr old.  That was due ot being in a split family so when she was with the other parent or with a different caretaker  mom could get a hold of them.  It stayed in her bag and not used as a toy.  Dd is 7 so i do not foresee her getting one any time soon.  If need be as she gets older, she could borrow a friends to call us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)