Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hysterectomy at 25? PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

As most of you know I have issues with irregular periods, that last anywhere from 7-25 days, and that any form of Birth Control gives me terrible side effects and usually just causes constant spotting and still leaves me with SUPER HEAVY periods. You also know that we are TTC to concieve our 4th child (well, my 4th, dh 2nd) and my dr has finally mentioned that once we are for sure done having kids (the 4th would be it because my dr doesn't recommend more than 4 csections) that she would be fine with taking my uterus. I am thrilled to hear that news but then again I know there can be major side effects... any opinions on if the hysterectomy would be better or worse?

*Wife to Joel since 10-2-10*
*Mother of Addyson, Karder & Everett *
*Angel Babies 1/19/11 & 4/23/11*

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I wouldnt have one unless it is life threatning(like cancer) or affecting body functions(like a large fibroid pressing against bladder and growing) in a harmful way.

RubyMom0526
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Have you gone gluten free diet.  It could help.  I would never ever have this done.  You need to figure out what is going on rather then taking everything out.

CAjenMomOF3_84
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I would look into the good and bad since you are still so young. Most drs will advise you not to. I wss told it would bring on early menopause which doesnt sound great in my 20s. Ive heard from older women it was the best decision of their life, but like I said.. Still so young! I feel we need our female parts for hormonal health reasons unless your bleeding a bathfull of blood... Sorry TMI!
CocoaKisses70
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Well I wont give you any advice, but I will share MY story with you and hope that it gives you something to help with your choice either way. Im a bit older than you (42) and I also had heavy bleeding..realll heavy to the point that it would cause my blood levels to drop monthly when I would cycle and I would become anemic.Ive had a total of 5 c-sections, my last was in '12 when I had my twins.I asked for a tubal after they were born and had it done. After their birth I bled again and required a transfusion.I learned during that pregnancy that I had a really large fibroid and even some months after the delivery it was still pretty huge and it was causing sciatica pain also.My doctor offered me the option of a partial hysterectomy because of the extreme bleeding I had during my cycles.I had the out patient surgery done this past May. I feel great.Should you choose to have it done,check to see if you can have a vaginal one vs the traditional, the recovery is faster( I was walking around 3 hours post surgery) .If you have any questions feel free to message me :0)

CafeMom Tickers

addykarder19
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM
That's how my periods are, I become anemic and feel completely drained and can barely leave the house because I spend so much time in the bathroom... Do you think they would take it during my csection, if I have another kid?

Quoting CocoaKisses70:

Well I wont give you any advice, but I will share MY story with you and hope that it gives you something to help with your choice either way. Im a bit older than you (42) and I also had heavy bleeding..realll heavy to the point that it would cause my blood levels to drop monthly when I would cycle and I would become anemic.Ive had a total of 5 c-sections, my last was in '12 when I had my twins.I asked for a tubal after they were born and had it done. After their birth I bled again and required a transfusion.I learned during that pregnancy that I had a really large fibroid and even some months after the delivery it was still pretty huge and it was causing sciatica pain also.My doctor offered me the option of a partial hysterectomy because of the extreme bleeding I had during my cycles.I had the out patient surgery done this past May. I feel great.Should you choose to have it done,check to see if you can have a vaginal one vs the traditional, the recovery is faster( I was walking around 3 hours post surgery) .If you have any questions feel free to message me :0)

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I would really weigh the odds about it before getting it done.  There are some possible big side effects that I wouldn't dismiss.  Have you tried Natural Family Planning?

addykarder19
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM
That's what we do right now since I can't take birth control but my period is SUPER HEAVY on days 2 &3 and last on average 12 days

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I would really weigh the odds about it before getting it done.  There are some possible big side effects that I wouldn't dismiss.  Have you tried Natural Family Planning?

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I haven't read much about it but I know there is a lot of information out there about diet and cycles which could maybe help out.  Good luck with it all.

Quoting addykarder19:

That's what we do right now since I can't take birth control but my period is SUPER HEAVY on days 2 &3 and last on average 12 days

Quoting countrygirlkat:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I would ask your doctor and also give you other options for birth control.  I have always had a heavy period with birth control but once I started Mirena heavy periods disappeared and started having short small periods or not.

CocoaKisses70
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

You can ask because it would make perfect sence to do so.But the recovery is alot harder and longer when they cut you.So unless you're already open,like for the c-section I would try the vaginal one.Oh and make sure they keep your ovaries so that it doesn't send you into menopause and you wont have to do hrt ( hormone replacement therapy), There is some link between hrt meds and certain types of cancers. I wouldn't try the iud if you know youre certainly done with kids,I also had it, twice and I liked them but I bled for 2 months right after it was placed and when I had it removed I bled for 3 months and ended up with yet another transfusion due to blood loss. I like not having a period, When I did have them it was heavy, long and horrible.I usually couldn't leave my house for the first 2 days because of accidents.You'll feel great once it done and you recover.

Quoting addykarder19:

That's how my periods are, I become anemic and feel completely drained and can barely leave the house because I spend so much time in the bathroom... Do you think they would take it during my csection, if I have another kid?

Quoting CocoaKisses70:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)