Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often did your newborn poop

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 21 Replies
My son is 8 days old. But last night I was wearing a robe that had tassel strings on it and he sucked on them and tore them off before I knew it. My husband said that he did not swallow one because if he had he would have choked and gagged on it. I stopped worrying but he has only pooped once since then and it was really small. Just really worried he swallowed one and its hurting his intestines. He is acting normal accept for the poop thing. Just not sure if that's normal. I am a first time mother.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM
My son is breastfed and pooped pretty frequently then. I would say he is okay.
Nikkijr
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Give him plenty of fluids. Call the doctor and ask what else you can do.Don't worry he will live. I remember how scary being a first time mom can be. Hang in there. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:08 PM

dd had bowel movements every 3-4 days at this age.  She was breastfed so her body used everything that went in.  You can always just give the doctor a call.  I highly doubt any got in his mouth and down throat.

baileyquarters
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Breastfed babies should go after every feed.
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Not true. Brest fed babes can go a week with out having a bowl movement and it be perfectly normal.

Quoting baileyquarters:

baileyquarters
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Not a newborn.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Not true. Brest fed babes can go a week with out having a bowl movement and it be perfectly normal.

Quoting baileyquarters:

nanasue31204
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM
It varied with my kids, sometimes they went several times a day and sometimes once a week. I would say if the baby is acting normal then don't worry too much but if it puts your mind at ease call your pediatrician.
StacyO722
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

My DD is 4 weeks old. She was pooping every day while in the hospital, we were there for 4 days, and then once we got home, it slowed up. She slowed down to once every few days. Now it's up to multiple times a day. She is both breast and formula fed.

I agree with your hubby, if he had swallowed the tassel he would have gagged. Breathe, he will be ok :)

trin123
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My babe pooped shortly after post. It was a mushy brownish yellow. Nothing in it so I think everything is fine. But did learn a important lesson about what I cannot wear. Thanks everyone.
trin123
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:03 AM
I was told by his pedi that he should pee after each feeding. Which he does actually. The poo thing was just scary. But I read its normal for them not to be all that regular the first few weeks.

Quoting baileyquarters:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)