• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some medical advice about my teen dd

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM
  • 14 Replies

My dd is 14, and she has been getting very hot lately. No matter what the temperature is in the house she says she is too hot. It has been cool and rainy today yet she is right now sitting in the living room in just shorts and a sports bra because she says she is sooo hot. And when she does go outside she gets red in the face very quickly. She gets hot when she sleeps too and so she hasn't been sleeping much. Any idea what this could be? Yes, I know I should be asking the ped, and not CM, but I don't want to waste time and money and look like an overreacting mom to go to the dr and then they say it's nothing. But if there is something they could do, then I'll go. So please any ideas on what this could be. She has been very uncomfortable lately and I just want to help her feel better. No other symptoms, no fever, or signs of illness. Could it be thyroids or her hormones out of whack or something like that?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I would talk to her dr.
SouthernMamaof1
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look into hyperthyroidism. 

Google a list of symptoms and see what applies to her.  It's a simple bloodtest to diagnose.

Karopie_99
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
How long has this been going on for? Maybe is aunt flo? The body changes every 7yrs, so maybe her body is going thru a change of sorts. Maybe call the doctors office and talk to a nurse. See what they think and figure out if she should be seen, or if you should wait and see if things pan out on their own. Hope she feels better soon!
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM

What have you been doing at home to try to alleviate it?  Is she drinking enough fluids? Eating enough fruit?  To me it seems something with metabolism or blood circulation.

pce68
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I didn't know anything to do to alleviate it. She's a teenager, and so I leave it up to her. If she is hot and thirsty then she gets something to drink, usually water or Gatorade. She drinks fruit every day as part of her lunch, usually grapes, but sometimes apples or watermelon. What else am I supposed to do? I honestly have no idea.
Quoting frndlyfn:

What have you been doing at home to try to alleviate it?  Is she drinking enough fluids? Eating enough fruit?  To me it seems something with metabolism or blood circulation.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I meant if a cold/room temperature bath and or shower would help cool her down, Putting a cool rag on the neck.   Some teens still need to be supervised for their water intake just to make sure they are getting enough.   I would talk to the doctor about things to try before jumping to testing.

Quoting pce68:

I didn't know anything to do to alleviate it. She's a teenager, and so I leave it up to her. If she is hot and thirsty then she gets something to drink, usually water or Gatorade. She drinks fruit every day as part of her lunch, usually grapes, but sometimes apples or watermelon. What else am I supposed to do? I honestly have no idea.
Quoting frndlyfn:

teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Next time you're out and about, stop in a drugstore and check her blood pressure on one of the machines most places have. 

It also could be signs of hormonal changes in her body, or, like someone else also stated, ovulation/PMS symptoms.  Someone else mentioned thyroid - that's also a possibility. 

Less likely is diabetes.  She'd need her sugar checked at the doctor's office, though, since even if you know someone with a meter, it's set for them and tracks their personal readings (as does someone's personal blood pressure reader, too) so I wouldn't advise that. 

Plenty of fluids, mostly water, is a great tip, too.

Call the doc and get her an appointment - it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hugzzz momma! :)

mommyof24ever
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Her body isn't cooling itself down normally. Is s hth e sweating. People who can't sweat can reach dangerous teperature levels. The red in the face ju st from going outside...her body is heating up and not cooling down. See if she is sweating and how long it takes her to cool down naturally. Thwn call a dr. Tell them about this and as ny other info u have. This isn't normal...and can be signs of a serious medical problem. Her sweat glands may gave stopped working...can be very dangerous if that is what it is. Keep her cool either way by having yer take cool baths....or at home depot or lowes they sell these cool cloths you wet them and snap them or something. They then stsy at like 50 degrees F for a few hours. They sre resuable. It could give her a lt of comfort and relief. Good luck momma. *hugs* for you and your daughter.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That's pretty common for a female in the midst of puberty. Her hormones are raging. Not to mention it's the middle of summer. Has she gained any weight recently?

YOROSSI
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

THAT WAS ME 2 YEARS AGO , I thought that was early menapause but the MD said I am only 33 it is to early to think of that. They ran test and I have  hyperthyroidism not the one everyone uses as an excuse the opposite and one of the main signs are always HOT HOT HOT. Call an MD & Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)