Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do black or darker skinned humans need sunscreen?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was at a water park today & I heard these two women arguing about whether or not to apply sun screen to a little boy that was in thier care.  It was a summer camp group & the white counselor was applying sunblock to all the children when she attempted to apply it to a black boy a black counselor told her he didn't need it?  She argued that she would be covering all the children as it is her job to do so but the other woman insisted he didn't require it!  

Really do certain types of skin pigment not need protection?  

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
birdiemom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Yes, everyone should use sunscreen
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Everyone needs to wear it because the sun can still cause damage.
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My husband and step daughter are dark and they don't technically need it but I at least apply it once when my SD goes out. She doesn't burn but that doesn't mean that she is immune to skin cancer. My two kids are very fair skinned, just like me, and I apply and reapply for us.

CafeMom Tickers

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Everyone needs it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

It is to protect the skin. Lighter skin people use it as a sun block to not burn as well but its protecting the skin from the UV rays either way. I have darker skin kids and I always apply it to them. They do not burn either way but I use it to protect their skin. 

I'm a tattooed, free spirited, CIO, circumcision, delayed vax, pro-life, anti flu shot, hiking, beach bum, early potty training, snuggling, video gaming, art therapy, natural remedies, natural health, Jesus is my home boy, Artist, sarcastic mom!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Yes everyone needs it despite skin tone.  I have seen poor young children suffer sunburns because their parents or caretakers didnt think they needed it.   Sunscreen protects the skin from "bad" sun rays which can affect everyone.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Good question. I assume everyone needs at least a little.
jemmyeve
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM
we all need it. it s not because some have a darker skin complexion that they can't have skin cancer and other damages.

I hate when some of my family members assume my oldest don't need any sun cream just because he s darker than his brother. ..
teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Yes, all folks should apply sunscreen... it's what protects the skin from the sun's harmful rays and, in turn, helps prevent skin cancers from developing.  No one wants skin cancer regardless of their skin tone :)

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM
All pigmentations of skin can get skin cancer, so everyone should wear sunscreen. the risk may be lower on a darker pigmentation, at the same time.... A darker skin tone may cause a melanoma to go unnoticed much longer and let it cause more damage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)