Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

working 3rd shift?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 20 Replies
HI mommas!! I moved to Idaho in April and have not been working since. Well I am thinking about getting a part time job. I am a CNA however going to school for business but CNA is a job that is very flexible with their scheduling so I think I will try to do that. I am thinking about working 1-2 nights a week for 12 hour shifts. or possibly try to find a per diem position working some nights or some days but in all just 1-2 days/nights a week. If I work nights my oldest will be in kindergarten til noon every day so I plan on sleeping while he is gone and possibly sending my 3yr old to preschool unless my husband closes then he will be home. After I get my oldest from school I will nap when they nap if I am still tired. HAve you ever worked nights?? Is it really hard? Did you like it?
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I worked 3ds for a month or two.  For me, it was very hard.  It was hard to tell what day it was, whether I was coming or going.  I'd get home just as the kids were waking up, so I'd get them breakfast.  Dh worked 2ds, so I'd wake him up so I could get a few hrs sleep b4 lunch.  he'd usually try to wake me up so we could have lunch together.  Then, he'd go to work.  Kids were outgrowing naps, so sometimes I'd get more sleep, sometimes I was SOL.  I'd get a couple more hrs of sleep after the kids went to bed, b4 I had to get ready for work.  I always felt like I was in an exhausted daze.  I wasn't the type of mom I wanted to be.  W/ kids in school full time, it may be easier to do.  I've known some that are night owls & handle 3ds pretty well.  Depends on the person. 

teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I've never worked a third shift job, but many, many moons ago I worked a second shift job and LOVED it!  Having daytime "business" hours free for running errands was a huge plus.  Not to mention, I got home around 1AM, which is when Dark Shadows would come on TV! LOL!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I've been working 6p-6a for almost 2 years now. You can do it!!

We started when my girls were 3&5. My dh and I have been doing this alone all along.

I'd come home, he'd go to work. I'd stay up
And get the girls going, get the 5yo to k. She got out at 12:30 that year.

I would nap on the couch with the 3yo sitting loyally at my side watching netflix.

When I picked up 5yo from k we'd eat lunch and EVERYONE would nap.

It was tough sure. But it's only 3 nights.

In the summer they both sit quietly with me on the couch.

If I work weekends dh is around and it's no big.

Once I wake from napping we do something fun for them. Then I cook dinner, dh gets home and we eat together before I go to work. We do it safe with door chains and a no-eating while I sleep rule.

This fall they'll both be in school til 2. I will actually get a straight nap lol!

Anyway it's totally doable. My kids do great, I still feel like a sahm and do all those mommy things like field trips. I'm the one who drops them off and picks them up, every day.

I'm also in school lol. Nights last spring semester, just finished a summer online course and in the fall I'll do some day classes since they'll be at school.

Anyway. It can totally be done. I love the nights for my family. :)
stayathome510
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Its one of the hardest things I have ever had to do....might work being it is so limited, but the hard part is...you can't make yourself go to sleep, it screws up your whole system.  I would literally lay in bed, crying from exhaustion because I couldn't fall asleep and was soooo tired.  Good luck, I would never ever do it again if I had any choice at all, especially with children, no way.  I worked night shift throughout my life when my kids were different ages, it never worked long term.

Caitlinmari
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

We started when my girls were 3&5. My dh and I have been doing this alone all along.

I would nap on the couch with the 3yo sitting loyally at my side watching netflix.

Once I wake from napping we do something fun for them. Then I cook dinner, dh gets home and we eat together before I go to work. We do it safe with door chains and a no-eating while I sleep rule.

This fall they'll both be in school til 2. I will actually get a straight nap lol!

Anyway it's totally doable. My kids do great, I still feel like a sahm and do all those mommy things like field trips. I'm the one who drops them off and picks them up, every day.

I'm also in school lol. Nights last spring semester, just finished a summer online course and in the fall I'll do some day classes since they'll be at school.

I also figure when holidays come around it will be nice to work nights then having to work the days!
stayathome510
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I worked nights when my kids were even younger than this, and I think it is hard on the mom and the little children...

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Caitlinmari
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Quoting stayathome510:

Its one of the hardest things I have ever had to do....might work being it is so limited, but the hard part is...you can't make yourself go to sleep, it screws up your whole system.  I would literally lay in bed, crying from exhaustion because I couldn't fall asleep and was soooo tired.  Good luck, I would never ever do it again if I had any choice at all, especially with children, no way.  I worked night shift throughout my life when my kids were different ages, it never worked long term.

I found another job that I might like it is working mon-friday though from 7pm-12:30am.. That way I will be home for most of the day and can still get home to go to sleep.
unspecified42
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I have done it for about five years now, full time, since my son was four. I definitely get more time with him (and more money!) and I prefer it over days. It takes a whole to adjust, but it isn't that bad after a while. I have no problems day sleeping or switching back to sleeping nights, really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Lol you are welcome to think whatever you like.

My kids do great, I do great, I sleep easy when the times comes and I sleep GREAT the nights I'm home.

It's certainly not for everyone.

Last night was my friday, I slept a couple hours today then took my kids to meet their cousins, made dinner and did dishes, cleaned the bathrooms and am doing laundry. I also plan to have fun with dh later. ;)

Tomorrow I'm taking the kids to rage out at the river ALL DAY, and this jobs affords us trips like disneyland.

Trust me my kids are super adjusted to this and we are just fine. Again, not for everyone.

Quoting stayathome510:

I worked nights when my kids were even younger than this, and I think it is hard on the mom and the little children...

Quoting AM-BRAT:

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I worked third shift for 5 years... its not easy... not for everyone... I have 2 kids...!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)