Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Melatonin really work for children???

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 39 Replies

I have two 10 yr olds, Son and Daughter, and they have a hard time falling asleep at bedtime and with school starting I know they need a good nights rest. Does melatonin work or is there something else better to help them relax and fall asleep? Thanks in Advance.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Have you set a good bedtime routine?  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

britmichele
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Tart cherry juice
OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I don't know if that would work on kids or not. It works for adults because we have a decline in melatonin levels as we age. Kids should have enough.

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter takes it and it works.
jillian9412
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

yea my sister is 3 and she takes it and it clonks her out within a half hour and i take it

jillian9412
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

my sister takes 6 mg and i do too

tgeary
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM

We settle in their beds at 8pm and get to watch TV for 30mins- 1 hr. TV is off at 9:00pm. 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Have you set a good bedtime routine?  

teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd try getting in the habit of having them discontinue using all forms of electronics for at least an hour before bed.  We call it quiet time in my house.  The kids and I chit chat or we sit and read books for a while as well as the usual nighttime routine of brushing hair, brushing teeth, etc... The routine lulls us all I think, and makes the kids feel comfortable I feel. 

Stuff like that before taking a pill I'd say. 

Dr. Oz's website probably has some good info on melatonin, though, if you're curious.  Here's a link to some great articles on his site.

tgeary
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, great ideas. I believe we will try this before taking anything. 

Quoting teaspring:

I'd try getting in the habit of having them discontinue using all forms of electronics for at least an hour before bed.  We call it quiet time in my house.  The kids and I chit chat or we sit and read books for a while as well as the usual nighttime routine of brushing hair, brushing teeth, etc... The routine lulls us all I think, and makes the kids feel comfortable I feel. 

Dr. Oz's website probably has some good info on melatonin, though, if you're curious.  Here's a link to some great articles on his site.

teaspring
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope everything goes smoothly for ya! : )

Quoting tgeary:

Thanks, great ideas. I believe we will try this before taking anything. 

Quoting teaspring:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)