Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Poison Control??*Edit,Update,news,vent**

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM
  • 26 Replies
I get as a parent we all make those mistakes we wish we would have taught our children better.... and yet again we desperately wished OTHERS would have taught their child better. but in attempts to be the best parents we can be sometimes things just don't pan out that way, especially when children get curious or don't think things thoroughly. and as far as others children... well I know I don't always like them, and partly because I parent different im sure, or maybe because they are truly rude ignorant children... either way its difficult to accept the fact that no matter how hard we try as parents sometimes we still make mistakes... or feel as if we have failed in some way as parents. there is a part in my life that happened recently that made me realize all of this and here is the story: "A friend of mine "jane" came over last night to get a baby swing I no longer use. she sat down and was telling me her two oldest boys got into things they weren't supposed to that day (ie wasp killer, spray paint) and that her younger one of the two was complaining that his throat burned and when she looked it was raw and red, not like a normal sore throat. so I asked her if they got into something other than those things because it sounded like an internal chemical burn. she said not that she knew of.... so she asked them and they said no... well this morning I get a call around 1030 am and it was her. she told me she found out what was going on... but only AFTER he younger woke up with major blisters all over his face, being BRIGHT red and swollen and not wanting to eat or drink because his throat hurt to bad.... But according her boys their friend "N" (whom they have had MANY problems with in the past) was messing around with a battery and exploded it, well while that happened some how managed to get all over his face and on his hands so while he ate dinner he ingested it.... the other two,including the one that exploded the battery was just fine.... So ladies remember that even when you know something isn't right, well it probably isn't, and even if you have called poison control 100 times, and are afraid of calling that one last time.. don't be kids do stupid things and that's what they are there for. "jane" didn't call poison control last night like I told her to, she was afraid because she had called in the past a few times... but because she didn't call she could have lost that little boy to internal organs being burned threw due to the acid.... she waiting until things morning! please be aware that even as best as we teach out kiddos that doesn't always mean they think before they do something.... ****EDIT***** Ok so I know I may have missed somethings in this post so here are some things I should have mentioned and im sorry I didn't... the boys are 10 and 6 (her kids) the other one im not sure... they were OUTSIDE playing like they normally do on their bikes playing ball etc. Now for the update on this story and more news** NEWS:: Found out that not only was the friend of the boys smashing on the battery so was the older brother (10) and the younger one (6) some how was in the spray of the battery... the oldest tried fully blaming the friend until the friend told "jane" that it wasn't just him but also the oldest. he wanted to be honest with her and his parents because he didn't want to be the only one who got in trouble for doing something, and having the blame put all on him when he had help. he did say sorry and that boy is no longer allowed over there. Update::: The younger one (6) is doing well his throat looks better he is now eating and drinking and the blisters are pretty much gone all but two (bigger deeper ones) but he is doing fine, not infection or internal damage... I did see him tonight!! Now for my vent over tonights ordeal with this:: I know its NOT my children but this is ridiculous. neither of those kids are grounded let alone got in trouble. they both are still out playing with the kids on the block and having sleep overs. still playing video games and on the computer!!! I cant believe there is no discipline after this!! yes they learned their lesson really well... :/ sorry had to let it out!!
My Crazy Khaotic Upside Down Loveable World! <3
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Holy crap girl   Please learn how to break up your sentences and use paragraphs when typing.  I hear you in my mind speaking 100mph without a breath with the way you type.  

That friend needs to be more firm with them staying away from poisonous substances and dangerous substances.  She will end up losing them one way or another at this rate.

mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Sorry it was a fast type out and post between a cranky hubs and crying baby haha.
Yes I agree her children need more discipline all the way around. But this by far is one of the worst cases on her end....well next to her now 3 yr old eating a half of bottle of adhd pills.... so I apologize for the run ons and no commas, ill fix it tomorrow. (:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Holy crap girl   Please learn how to break up your sentences and use paragraphs when typing.  I hear you in my mind speaking 100mph without a breath with the way you type.  

That friend needs to be more firm with them staying away from poisonous substances and dangerous substances.  She will end up losing them one way or another at this rate.

-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Wow.  That's really scary.  All cleaning chemicals and medicines are on the top shelf in our house but sometimes kids get into things that we wouldn't expect them to.  My dd ate oatmeal bath powder once.  I had to explain that Aveno and Quaker do not make the same product.  lol  I hope her little one is ok.

btw...Poison control says aveno oatmeal bath is harmless.

momtodab
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Woah. That scary. I Personally am a very hmm what's the word paranoid? Yes. A paranoid mother. When i was still pregov with my first dd who is nowt four I baby proofed my house by 6 months. I mean locked cabinets and electric plugs lol. I know i know crazy prego brain. But I'm so cautious of cleaners and things like that. I had a childhood friend die from drinking finger nail polish remover when she was 5 cause it smelled like Cherries. :( I don't let my kids have anything in their rooms with batteries because I don't want them taking them out and playing with them. It's too hard to know what a child will come up with in their brains.
I have a friend now who actually lost her dd at 2 because she our get in her crib for a nap so she could nap to. When she got up the little girl had been playing with the cord from the blinds next to get crib and got strangled. I say this because kids come up with crazy ideas and if we sing teach them right from wrong it could be harmful. I can't believe she didn't call poison control. :( I hope the little bit is doing better.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
If she has called poison control that many times, she never baby proofed. I have grown kids and never ever called them once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JocelynMoods
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

That friend would never babysit my children. Sounds like she needs to child proof her home. 

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

How awful for the child! She has got to get her act together and childproof!

mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I agree ima bit paranoi as well  but in the same sence my children dont run amuck... well one cant anyways shes only 3 months old lol. but either way yes you should take saftey of poisious substances serious especially in children... the worst my DD now 3 1/2 has done is eat two acid reflux pills (idk where they came from :(  ) but still i keep everthing closed put up locked away etc. but then again if she finds something that she knows its what she can have she asks first...

haha nice to know just in case it happens (:  glad shesok though..

Quoting -PB:

Wow.  That's really scary.  All cleaning chemicals and medicines are on the top shelf in our house but sometimes kids get into things that we wouldn't expect them to.  My dd ate oatmeal bath powder once.  I had to explain that Aveno and Quaker do not make the same product.  lol  I hope her little one is ok.

btw...Poison control says aveno oatmeal bath is harmless.

mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM

yes hes ok i saw him today and he only has one blister burn left on his forehead and his throat isnt burning any more. but i agree although i never baby proofed (3 1/2 yr old and now an almost 4 month old) but i dont leave them unattended either, and IF i do its cause older one is in her room (i can hear her) or the little one is sleeping and i have to pee or something. but i dont let the oldest out of my sights if shes out side, shes clumsy as it is god only knows what would happen if eye werent on here almost all the time.

Im so sorry about the LO's that have been lost that is so tradgic and sad!! :/

Quoting momtodab:

Woah. That scary. I Personally am a very hmm what's the word paranoid? Yes. A paranoid mother. When i was still pregov with my first dd who is nowt four I baby proofed my house by 6 months. I mean locked cabinets and electric plugs lol. I know i know crazy prego brain. But I'm so cautious of cleaners and things like that. I had a childhood friend die from drinking finger nail polish remover when she was 5 cause it smelled like Cherries. :( I don't let my kids have anything in their rooms with batteries because I don't want them taking them out and playing with them. It's too hard to know what a child will come up with in their brains.
I have a friend now who actually lost her dd at 2 because she our get in her crib for a nap so she could nap to. When she got up the little girl had been playing with the cord from the blinds next to get crib and got strangled. I say this because kids come up with crazy ideas and if we sing teach them right from wrong it could be harmful. I can't believe she didn't call poison control. :( I hope the little bit is doing better.

mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I have three times on my oldest 1 time cause when i was at work hubby was watching her and as he turned around she put something round and brown in her mouth, thought it was a penny. older ones can cause damage or get caught in the throat or even in the lungs... had xrays didnt find one lol.2 because she ate a couple acid reflux pills (idk where they came from,my mom maybe 0_o) and i cant member the third she got into something but didnt ingest it... but nothing compared to this or how many times she has had to call them.. id be scared CPS would be called to be honest... but he is doing ok (hes 6) i saw him tonight. 

Quoting atlmom2:

If she has called poison control that many times, she never baby proofed. I have grown kids and never ever called them once.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)