Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inducing Labor Could Hurt Your Baby More Than You Know

Cafe Steph
Today at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

Inducing Labor Could Hurt Your Baby More Than You Know

by Michele Zipp 

baby feetNatural birth advocates often anger some over their stance on really trying to have a non-medicated birth without induction unless it's absolutely necessary. There will always be women who would rather meditate their baby out or try acupuncture; and there will always be women who want to schedule their birth early, induce labor with Pitocin, and ask for an epidural. In the end, no matter what you choose, I think we all can agree we just want healthy, thriving babies. But what if you learned that inducing labor could increase the risk of your child having autism?

In a study of more than a half a million births, the chance of autism increased by 23 percent when mothers had been induced or their labor was augmented. That's not a percentage we can ignore.

This is interesting since many studies show there is a genetic link to autism -- though many believe it is environmental. Some fear vaccines increase the chance of autism as well. What we know for certain is that we don't know enough. This new study suggests that changing the natural course of labor and delivery could affect the developmental process. That's not making me comfortable with how frequently doctors and nurses push Pitocin and inductions on mothers. Though it's not something I was pleased about prior to these latest findings. Pitocin is linked to adverse effects on newborns.

Simon G. Gregory, PhD, of Duke University, and his colleagues reported in JAMA Pediatrics that this risk associated with induction is much like a baby experiencing some type of fetal distress, gestational diabetes, meconium, or being premature. They say environmental factors can increase risk of autism during prenatal and early postnatal development. As with any study, researchers say more investigating needs to take place for more answers.

It's important to note that how baby was delivered -- vaginal or c-section -- did not affect the risk of autism.

Still, the researchers say that these findings "are not sufficient to suggest altering the standard of care regarding induction or augmentation; our results do suggest that additional research is warranted." Dr. Gregory said, "We know that there are circumstances surrounding birth which have resulted in an elevated risk in autism, but we can't establish that it's the induction or augmentation process itself. It could be maternal health, it could be fetal health, or it could be the induction or augmentation process itself. We haven't made that link yet." 

It could be .... That word in itself just makes me worry.

Would you avoid an induction now that you've learned of this potential risk?

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
When you are 2 weeks late it needed to be done. Inductions have been going on for years. Back when mine was induced 22 years ago there was not half as much autism as today? This coorelation makes no sense. They grasp at straws for causes of autism.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yep. If I were having kids still.. I would. 

My son was 4.5 weeks early. My water broke, but was not progressing "fast enough". Then I needed an emergency c section as he was face up. I gave birth within 14 hours of water breaking.

My son has some autistic traits, (has been DXd with Aspie by 1 doc and DX was refuted by other doc). He def. has some sensory issues, some attentional issues, but is super smart and doing great. 

I would def. avoid pitocin and go at my bodys natural speed. Obviously, since he could fit; the c section wasnt optional. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Snce the numbers have increased so, they are looking at every possible cause to reduce the risks. IMO this is an unecessary risk (speeding up labor). Its done merely for the OBs, hospitals and insurance companies. My SM is an OB... 

Quoting atlmom2:

When you are 2 weeks late it needed to be done. Inductions have been going on for years. Back when mine was induced 22 years ago there was not half as much autism as today? This coorelation makes no sense. They grasp at straws for causes of autism.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I agree if it is done before 42 weeks for no reason. Labor is induced for reasons many times though.

Quoting SamMom912:

Snce the numbers have increased so, they are looking at every possible cause to reduce the risks. IMO this is an unecessary risk (speeding up labor). Its done merely for the OBs, hospitals and insurance companies. My SM is an OB... 

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I'd have to study more about it before deciding.

KEL101212
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I would have to do a lot more research before deciding on whether I would or not. I was induced 5 days before my due date because my blood pressure went sky high and my OB didnt want to take any risks that late in the pregnancy.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Inductions are happening too often.  Inductions should be for medical reasons only.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

momaof8
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I was 2 weeks late 23 years ago they wanted to induce  I said no way I delivered a healthy baby girl no drugs with a midwife. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM
They gave me petocin 1 1/2 weeks early with both my pregnancies, due to diabetes (had before pregnant), and both my boys are healthy. Granted, my first has asthma, but that runs in the family. I did have an epidural with him, but not my second. My first was 7"8oz, my second was 9" 8oz. My sugars were under control, but they were concerned that the boys could be bigger then my body could handle. I had no issues with it, and neither did my kids. I may wait closer to the due date to use it the first time around again, but I didn't want a C-section if at all possible. I think I would still do it close to the same way I did with my second. My feet kept breaking with both pregnancies because my ligaments were stretchy and the sesemoid bone couldn't handle it. It was an.... Adventure, to say the least :) But I would do it again if it meant I needed it and they were growing too fast and no c-section.
karamille
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

My water broke 6wks early and there were no contractions happening.  We waited 6 hours.  Nothing.  So we started the pit.  14 hour later, I still wasn't progressing (stuck at 2 cm for 12 hours) and baby's heart rate was increasing - which can be a sign of infection starting.  So we did a c/s.  Ideally I would prefer not to deliver 6wks early via c/s, but in our situation, I don't think it could have went down any different.  My cervix wasn't ready to play ball.  And really unless the baby is at risk, no labor should be induced if the cervix isn't ripe.  You can dump all the drugs you want into mom, but if that cervix isn't ready, that baby isn't coming out that way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured