Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

about an earlier post regarding sahm with 6 kids

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 22 Replies
4 moms liked this

this really surprises me! there was a post about what would you think of a woman who has 6 kids, is a sahm, and her husband does all the cleaning and cooking? and most ppl bashed her, and said things like, she's lazy, and she should get a job! first of all, a husband who is not home sure might be helping out but 90% of the housework/childcare still falls on her shoulders, while he's away. and not only that taking care of 6 kids all day! that's a real job, she dsnt need to get a friggin' job! and how is it that women never support other sahm like this? i dont understand. give some credit, ppl, be understanding, form some empathy instead of bashing all the time! even if the husband does work, i think he should still be involved with the house and kids, maybe not 50/50, but depending on what kind of a job he has, he should still be hands-on at home too. because sahms work 24/7, it's not fair to them too. 

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klespeedy0205
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I believe if you stay at home then you should do the majority of the house work. that doesnt mean that the other party doesnt do anything. if you cant handle 6 kids then dont have them. there is a reason i only have 1. lol
momaof8
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I have eight hubby works so I clean and  cook I also homeschool a sahm who doesnt and isnt ill is just lazy.

jlmc
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
No one should have bashed her because op didn't know or didn't give all the details about her. I didn't bash her simply because it looked like op was leaving an important detail out. Yes sahm should clean and all but 6 kids and she was a mess... I think it's a lot. I do it with two no problem but add 4 more and idk.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Crazy.  I stay at home and and I am an empty nester now.  I still have a house cleaner too.  If you can afford it, why not?  I do volunteer with 2 non profits and do things.  I don't sit around eating bon bons all day long.  Dh works long hours so I did a lot of the kid raising.  Now I can do things for myself. 

Sahm's are anything but lazy especially with 6 kids!!!!

paknari
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM
You said all the cleaning and cooko g and then later said share the cooking and cleaning. Which do you mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I didn't see that post. Imo if you are a sahm then you should do most of the cooking and cleaning. As the kids get older then can help clean so everythng doesn't fall on the sahm.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont bash people:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdychick
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

As a sahm of 5 with #6 due next month I myself do most the chores and cooking. My kids are all old enough to be doing some kind of chore (on top of keeping there rooms clean) the older 3 boys get things like supper dishes and mowing (teenagers) and the younger 2 (ages 10 and 6) get to keep the living room clean and vacume. I will do the laundry but everyone is responsable for folding there own and putting it up. and as laundry being my least fav chore dh gets to put ours up lol. He also is always asking if there is something he could be doing to help me with most the time i just tell him no but this far along in my pregnacy I welcome a lil help so I can sit for a few min.  Normaly with all the kids in school I would pick up a part time job but with the baby due next month I wont be doing that this year. and yes there are some days that I do get more down time than others meaning I get to sit around and catch up on my shows I have missed but most the time I try to stay busy and keep my house nice for my kids and dh who works so hard to provide nice things for us. I think I am one lucky women to beable to be a sahm. I use to work 40 or more hours a week just to make ends meet and now I get to spend my time with the kids. Its day 3 of the new school year and I miss the crazyness already. 

MomTo3NMW
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. I'm a sahm to 2, soon 3 kids and a full time student too. I do most everything around the house except he does laundry and trash, occasionally he'll do dishes or mop the floor or something. I don't expect anything more than his 2 "jobs" at home lol.

Quoting klespeedy0205:

I believe if you stay at home then you should do the majority of the house work. that doesnt mean that the other party doesnt do anything. if you cant handle 6 kids then dont have them. there is a reason i only have 1. lol

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

MagicTemptation
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I didn't see the post. I am a SAHM with 6 kids(all under the age of 9). I do the majority of the household work, bills, finances, planning, shopping and cooking. Each kid gets a small chore every evening (take out trash, sweep kitchen floor, gather dishes, pick up hallway etc..) My dh works 50 hours a week plus is in school part time. He will still pitch in if he sees something that needs to be done. He spends time with the kids. He volunteers to cook maybe twice a month. I couldn't see him doing all the cooking and cleaning. IMO that wouldn't be right and not a way our relationship would ever be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)