Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

helpless

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

My one month old has been struggling for the two weeks or so with making bowel movements. It looks like shes pushing just as hard as I was giving birth too her. It even got to the point she pushes so hard she makes herself get sick. Her pedi. recommended prune juice and water, it makes her go more frequently but she still struggles with the pushing. Aside from holding her legs up and rubbing her belly any suggestions on how to help soothe her while she is in the process of getting it out. It makes me feel so helpless seeing her in pain like that :/

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Are there any safe newborn suppositories for stool softening?  Is she breastfed or formula fed?  If she is breastfed, you need to change your diet somehow to see if that helps.

mymommasgirl
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor baby. Hmmmm I wonder if you can try Apple sauce. Try googling it mama. Srry I wasn't much help
Mom2Aubriella
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I'm not sure my boyfriend went to the store last night and they only had adult ones, we have to check another store. She is formula fed.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Hmm maybe add less formula to the water for meal time or add more water like if it is a 5 oz bottle make it for 4 oz formula to allow for more water.   I am surprised the doctor said prune juice for so young.  I have heard Karo syrup can help.

Mom2Aubriella
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I was suprised too, she said an ounce prune juice and a little over an ounce of water. I will try that thanks :D

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

My son had this exact issue when he was a baby, it didn't go away until we introduced baby food (leafy veggies) at 6 mos old (out of necessity!)

I had to buy the glycerin suppositories and cut them in half and put them in his bottom. They help lube the anus to make expelling the poop easier. They worked wonders!! You should ask your pharmacist about them.

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Just cut the adult ones in half or a third. Its the same thing.

Quoting Mom2Aubriella:

I'm not sure my boyfriend went to the store last night and they only had adult ones, we have to check another store. She is formula fed.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Is there iron in the formula? Are her stools really hard? Or normal consistancy? If you're using formula with iron maybe try 1/2 with and 1/2 without.

Mom2Aubriella
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I'll have to run and get them tomorrow morning. I hate seeing her suffer it is so heartbreaking. Thank you for the input.

Quoting kgsharber:

My son had this exact issue when he was a baby, it didn't go away until we introduced baby food (leafy veggies) at 6 mos old (out of necessity!)

I had to buy the glycerin suppositories and cut them in half and put them in his bottom. They help lube the anus to make expelling the poop easier. They worked wonders!! You should ask your pharmacist about them.

echoedsentiment
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Warm apple juice always helped my kids. The prune juice helped some but the warm apple juice helps a LOT!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)