Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is 3 kids way harder?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 54 Replies

My grandma (mom of 4) always told my mom (also mom of 4) that three kids is twice as hard as two because a person only has two hands. Other people say that the 1 to 2 kid transition is the hardest and a third isn't so much harder. 

To those who are moms of 3 or more, what was adding a third like for you? Also how far apart are your kids? If one loved kids, but didn't want too much chaos would you recommend two or three?

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTROX
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I only have 2, but my brother has 4.  He said 1-2 was no big deal.  2-3 was the worst, because at that point you realize the kids outnumber the grown-ups.  3-4 no biggie, because you are already outnumbered.

deadlights86
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
3 wasn't that bad once the littlest became more independent. Now that he's 4 its not bad but trying to find things in packs of 3 or 5 really sucks sometimes.
jlmc
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I only have two but I have my niece often and I love her when we are together it flows well it's great I feel like if I added another of my own it would be fine. Then when she goes home I feel relieved and exhausted lol! I think it's tougher than it looks.
MichaelsCasey
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I have three. They are 20 months apart each. It was a bigger adjustment for me to go from 2 to 3, rather than when I went from 1 to 2. We have always wanted a big family so we went for number three (admittedly I thought it would take longer to get pregnant.. I got pregnant on the first try!) the first year was pretty exhausting. My youngest is 2.5 now and pretty independent. We are expecting #4 in January. I always joke things got too easy with my 3, so we went for one more.
mommy2lexinmark
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM
not for me....but my 2nd was my absolutely most difficult, soo that could be why
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I only have two.

I think anyone with good routine and coping skills can handle 3 or more.

Personally the noise/ chaos level for me would likely be too much...
famiglia_bella
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I'd recommend three because my first two were 2 years apart and there was competition and aggravation.  After number three, they focused on "the baby" and it was a.maz.ing.  Each experience is different though, just my 2 cents.  More kids doesn't have to mean chaos.  ;)

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I have 3 kids. A 5 year old dd, a 3 year old dd, and a 5 month old ds. :-) I love it! And to be honest we have never really had any difficulty in transitioning. 0-1 was easy. 1-2 was great because the girls were instant best friends. And 2-3 was easy too because the girls just love mothering him. :-) The only tough part was that he had colic and reflux pretty badly the first 3 months but that was it. My second can get really wound up and overwhelm him at times but it's just a matter of telling her to step back and calm down before playing with him. I love having 3 kids! :-)

jojo_star
by Jojo on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I went from two to four, the oldest three are only a year apart each, and the youngest is two years younger. 

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JTROX:

I only have 2, but my brother sister has 4.  SHe said 1-2 was no big deal.  2-3 was the worst, because at that point you realize the kids outnumber the grown-ups.  3-4 no biggie, because you are already outnumbered.

Exactly this, with one minor change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured