Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Dress Codes Debate

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 AM
  • 31 Replies
Ok we live in FL and here we have a dress code and a pick of 3 colors kids can wear at school which ours is navy blue,red,white and jeans ,kaki or black. I have mixed emotions on this topic.We have been doing this for years now so I was just seeing what other states have this.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandarene25
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:33 AM
I think in a way it helps kids that don't wear name brand and everyone looks the same helps with dressing nice but at the sametime we have to buy two different sets of clothes for our kids and whatever happened to letting the child be him and dress his way but in a good way ? Were origionally from NE where you can still wear whatever.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM

nope no dress code for ours as long as the children are clothed they are good as far as our particular school is concerned. Now the older schools (middle and high school) do get more specific as in what you can wear but not colors.   Where i grew up Red and blue were discouraged due to rise in gang activity.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I live in NC and the dress code varies from school to school. Some have uniforms. The last middle school I worked at had them. Black, khaki, or navy pants, shorts. capri's or skirts; navy, white, gray shirts-pull-overs, golf shirts or button ups. A belt must be worn and shirts tucked in. No sandals or high heals or flip-flops. Most of the students wore black or white sneakers. I think it is a very good idea to have a uniform. No rushing round in the morning trying to decide what to wear or trying to impress friends. The boys had to wear pants around their waists...not their knees and the girls skirt had to be done to 1 inch above the knee, shorts for boys and girls had to be down to the middle finger of their hand when standing. From what I experienced the students were better behaved and paid better attention. They under-performing school was totally transformed. The very first year of uniforms the school me AYP for the first time and has every year since then. Some teachers(including me) started wearing the uniform too.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I live in central Ohio. I personally liked the idea but the school board has changed the code so much it's pointless now. 

At first it was polos or button ups that were purple, yellow, or white with Khakis, navy blue, or black Docker style pants. No biggie for me. Then 2 years later it was any solid color as long as it wasn't red, royal blue, or black ("gang" colors) & the pants could be brown & grey as well. THEN (today's dressed code) they changed it to ANY button up or polo- as long as the shirt had a collar & buttons it was fine. And any pants so long as it's not pleather, leather, knit stretch, or BLUE jeans (although any other color of jeans are okay).

The whole point of the dress code was to easily identify strangers in the school. If you were wearing the school colors then you were deemed a stranger. But really anyone who took the time to research it knew the colors & could come into the schools.

2lilmamas
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I love when kids where uniforms it avoids competition and conflict. Although now where I live my daughter wear her regular clothes but I wish it would uniforms instead. Before her uniform were a white or baby blue shirt with black or a navy blue skirt or bottoms.
Pnukey
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I teach in OK at a school with a dress code that calls for uniforms. My kids attend school in another district that has a dress code, but no uniform, just basically they have to look decent.

I LOVE UNIFORMS!! If my kids suddenly had to wear them, I'd be the first to go buy them. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea. It makes dressing and shopping  so much easier. You can still individualize the outfits.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

No dress code as far as having uniforms, but they can't wear offensive t-shirts, too short skirts, flip-flops or open back shoes.

lchung1983
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Our school's dress code is red, blue, white and khaki. A pretty strict uniform dress code, but it definitely makes getting dressed in the morning much easier.

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I live in Western Mass, and the city I am in there are no dress codes... but they have to have long enough shorts, no flip flops... no tank tops... nothing 'offensive'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)