Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

not exactly sure what to do

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ok so I have about 3 months left of my pregnancy and I work 40 hours a week. Sometimes more than 8 hours a day. I've been getting so exhausted by 3pm and my feet are starting to get more swollen and painful. I am on my feet all day (walking and standing) with 2 ten minute breaks and a half hour lunch. I've been trying to keep it together... and when I bring it up to my boss.. I feel like she thinks I'm just being a wuss. she was pregnant 2 years ago and went through it so I should be ok and make it. she also had her son early due to stress from work... ugh its so frustrating. I've only called in once since being pregnant because I was overwhelmed and had an emotional breakdown. I hate it especially because this one girl I work with has called in at least 2 or 3 times a month because she's "sick". when she has even told me that she sometimes calls in just because she doesn't want to work. I don't want to work at all anymore but ya don't see me calling in every month... sorry.. I needed to vent a little. its very frustrating.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Yeah that is frustrating.  My doctor wrote me an excuse that i could not sit or stand for long periods of time due to the swelling in legs/feet.  I had extreme edema.

jamie101789
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I finally just asked my boss to schedule me less hours and to schedule me to start later in the day. All she said was ok. She also seemed pretty upset that I was going to be taking 12 weeks for maternity leave. And honestly at this point I don't plan on returning back to.work there. Its a half hour drive to get there from my house and there has been little to no flexibility with me. I think I'm going to spend the first year as a stay at home mom.. I don't want to put my 3 month old baby in daycare and only see her for a few hours in the morning and a few at night. I was raised by my mother, I should raise my own child.
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I am sorry you are having this frustration and physical problem also. Is there any way you could sit on a stool, etc, for part of the time, or even put your feet up during breaks?

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I just saw this. It sounds as though you did the best thing. Good luck! Please keep us updated.

Quoting jamie101789:

I finally just asked my boss to schedule me less hours and to schedule me to start later in the day. All she said was ok. She also seemed pretty upset that I was going to be taking 12 weeks for maternity leave. And honestly at this point I don't plan on returning back to.work there. Its a half hour drive to get there from my house and there has been little to no flexibility with me. I think I'm going to spend the first year as a stay at home mom.. I don't want to put my 3 month old baby in daycare and only see her for a few hours in the morning and a few at night. I was raised by my mother, I should raise my own child.

TaylorMom814
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I would talk to your doctor. Mine took me off work 4 weeks before my due date because stress at work was causing my blood pressure to rise. It was covered by my short term disability benefits. Good luck, hope things get better for you!
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Glad you have a plan figured out
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Well, my first suggestion was to go get fitted for some proper shoes that have great support. Proper footwear can make a huge difference in your performance.
But now that I see you have already spoke with your boss, nevermind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamie101789
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I've spent at least $150 on shoes in the last two months trying to find a decent pair.. they are good for the first few days and then right back to being painful and swollen. I don't think any pregnant woman should be on her feet 8+ hours a day... I mean if she isn't having any issues with pain and swelling and can get through it then let her do her thing... but its been super hard for me for the last two months and I'm glad I finally kinda talked with my boss. I don't think enough women listen to their bodies when pregnant because they don't want to be an issue at work or seen as weak... well I'm sorry but making a baby is a lot of God damn work and takes a toll on some people. and besides its only temporary... not like we need restrictions forever.
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I'm sure it is, get some good support hose and drink more water, I needed at least 100oz of water per day to stop my swelling.  I have friend who is a nurse and she drank tons and wore support hose to keep her feet from swelling so badly since she was on her feet all day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN