Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excessive crying: spoiled DD or something more??

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 65 Replies
My DD is 7 years old. Just like every child she has good days and bad days. Today when I picked her up, she got mad that I took her 3DS into the house to charge it. She had been playing on it this morning before school in the car. We get home and she gets upset that her little sister gets to play on the kindle while she and I do homework. Then she gets upset when I tell her we have to work on spelling words. Then she gets upset because she mis-spelled one word. When I say upset or mad, I mean she cries. Almost hysterically. I stay patient while she does so and I try to calm her down but sometimes I get fed up with all her crying. Today I just looked at her and said, "do you hear yourself?"

Is this normal behavior for a seven year old? Is she just spoiled? If its not normal behavior, what can I do to help her?
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Bump!
Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Bump! Advice please!
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Ask her why she is whiny. Let her know that behavior will not be tolerated. Maybe something is going on at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I would say its excessive. I would send her to her room . Tell her when she can come out ~~ not cry sit down and do her homework you will be waiting. Do this the minute she starts. Ask her if she would prefer you write the teacher a note saying (her name) didnt do her HW because she was crying and throwing a fit about it. if this continues I would make sure she is getting enough sleep and take away her DSI until she can complete her HW without all the BS.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Some kids are just more sensitive than others. Tell her its okay to be upset but its not okay to take it out on others. Try giving her alternatives to crying.
Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I have asked her and she says, "I don't know."

Last Friday we had an incident at school where two little girls called her weird all day. Saying mean things to her like, don't play with DD! She's weird! I talked to her teachers about it and they assured me that the issue had been taken care of.

The reason I ask if its normal is because she's very stand off ish when it comes to new situations. Her teachers said that the first couple of days at school, she wouldn't speak to them and seemed to freeze up when they spoke to her. She also wouldn't play with the other children.
Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
She is very sensitive! What kind of alternatives?

Quoting Retrokitty:

Some kids are just more sensitive than others. Tell her its okay to be upset but its not okay to take it out on others. Try giving her alternatives to crying.

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Did this just start? My kids get this way if the are tired or hungrybut otherwise they are in pretty good moods. If it just started it could be something bothering her at school that she don't want to talk about or even the beginning of puberty and all those hormones girls start to get. My sister started he period at the age of 8 and has had crazy hormones ever since. lol

Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Send her to her room until she's done crying? I have tried that. The last time she cried for almost an hour. I'm not talking whines, she full on sobbed. At this point I feel like I'm almost coddling her.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I would say its excessive. I would send her to her room . Tell her when she can come out ~~ not cry sit down and do her homework you will be waiting. Do this the minute she starts. Ask her if she would prefer you write the teacher a note saying (her name) didnt do her HW because she was crying and throwing a fit about it. if this continues I would make sure she is getting enough sleep and take away her DSI until she can complete her HW without all the BS.

Masha8506
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Oh my goodness! 8?! That is so young! I hope that's not the case.

No, it didn't just start. She has done this since she was 4. Everyone told me she would grow out of it.

Quoting Mom_to_Lincoln:

Did this just start? My kids get this way if the are tired or hungrybut otherwise they are in pretty good moods. If it just started it could be something bothering her at school that she don't want to talk about or even the beginning of puberty and all those hormones girls start to get. My sister started he period at the age of 8 and has had crazy hormones ever since. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured