Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
so my daughter is 13 months and she has a fever that's ranging from 100 to 102.5 over the last 2 days. Me and my ex are having an argument because he wants to give her a bath and wash her head because he thinks it'll make her feel better and I've always been told you don't get sick baby wet what is the right way to go about this.

Update**- THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE GAVE HER A BATH AND IT BROKE HER FEVER WILL USE THIS INFO AGAIN FOR NEXT TIME.

P.S. I know she is not an infant i am still in denial she grew to fast :-((
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
dsebastian23
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Putting a child in a luke warm bath will bring down the fever, may not make them feel better but it will help the fever....
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM
8 moms liked this
102 is not a high fever. I didn't take my dd's to the ER with a 104 fever. ER's are for emergencies. Fevers should be looked at by a pediatrician. Ear infections are not serious for the ER either.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

I'm thinking you two may want to take her to the emergency room and see if it's something else causing the Fever to spike that high and not go down. A few months ago my son had a fever than wouldn't go down. We ended up taking him to a hospital in fact the one he was born at which is a wonderful hospital but anyway, while in the ER they found out he had a inner ear infection and that was causing his fever. This is just some friendly words of advice for me cause fevers can be scary and it's better to get it looked at to be sure nothing serious is wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rampgirl04
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Wow I was just giving her my input I didn't mean to offend anyone geesh!

Quoting atlmom2:

102 is not a high fever. I didn't take my dd's to the ER with a 104 fever. ER's are for emergencies. Fevers should be looked at by a pediatrician. Ear infections are not serious for the ER either.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

I'm thinking you two may want to take her to the emergency room and see if it's something else causing the Fever to spike that high and not go down. A few months ago my son had a fever than wouldn't go down. We ended up taking him to a hospital in fact the one he was born at which is a wonderful hospital but anyway, while in the ER they found out he had a inner ear infection and that was causing his fever. This is just some friendly words of advice for me cause fevers can be scary and it's better to get it looked at to be sure nothing serious is wrong.

SueSahara
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
thank you for that information I just so happen by the stroke of luck I realize she is scared of the faucet water coming out I never noticed before because I usually prepare her bath while she's in the bathroom and she gets so upset and starts crying now I know why thank you again

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

A bath is a very good way to get her temp down. Do not put her in cool water. You don't want her to shiver. Shivering is the way the body raises it's temperature. Put your arm in the water and if it doesn't feel hot or cold, it's about right.

The only time I had a baby that hated the water was when something in the bathroom was scary to him. Do you run the water when she's in the room? That's too noisy for a hypersensitive child.  If she sees the water go down the drain she might think she can go down it too. Do you have things on the edges or around the tub she's not allowed to touch? (move it!)   had a couple that liked showers. Do you have a huge kitchen sink you could bathe her in?   

SueSahara
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
I talk to her doctor about this as her fever is jumping up to 102 and then down to 100. he just said let her body work it through but thank you I will store this info in my mommy Rolodex
;-))))

Quoting Rampgirl04:

Rampgirl04
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM

You are so very welcome momma and I hope your little girl gets better soon :)

Quoting SueSahara:

I talk to her doctor about this as her fever is jumping up to 102 and then down to 100. he just said let her body work it through but thank you I will store this info in my mommy Rolodex
;-))))

Quoting Rampgirl04:

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

yeah a bath is a good thing, just make sure the water isnt too warm.  if you break a fever with heat, (ie sweat it out) it kills brain cells.  the reason you feel cold when you have a fever is because your body is trying to bring down the body's temperature.  when dd was a baby, her doctor used to tell us to strip her down to her diaper during the winter and step outside with her for a few seconds.  usually worked quite well.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I agree with your ex. I always bathe my kids when they're sick.  It DOES make them feel better and it can help with the fever.

kentuckyrose
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
It is not normal for a baby to have a high fever that long. You need take your baby to the dr. Your baby could have a bad infection somewhere in her body. Usually a lukewarm bath is good for a sick baby. Make sure you have towels ready when she gets out because she will be really cold. Dry her hair quickly with a towel.
FIREFOX1336
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
13 months old is toddler not infant. But that's beside the point. When you are sick do you take a shower or bath? I do it makes me feel better, my kids always get baths when sick, I even add bubbles as a special treat. They always feel better, and lie to snuggle in and they actually get good sleep afterward instead of miserable sick in and out sleep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)