Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

bassinet hand-me-down

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 12 Replies
My aunt had her son in April. I am having a girl in November.. She wanted to give me the bassinet he used because he was starting to sleep in his crib. I have been hesitant with accepting things from her that she has used in previous pregnancies because she doesn't really take care of her things. She had let me know that she put the bassinet in their shed so I could grab it when I could.. I spent all day today cleaning and organizing and was excited to get the bassinet in the room. Now I forgot that my cousin, aunt and her boyfriend all smoke in that shed... when I walked in there to get it.. it reaked. so I got the bassinet home and it was filthy and it smelled really bad... now at this point I'm already lacking patience and getting easily irritated because I was so tired and wiped out from cleaning and organizing... I got so mad. I thought, why would she give this to me in that kind of shape. wouldn't it be a common courtesy to have cleaned it up and make sure it didn't reek of cigarettes and weed? I mean... this thing is for a baby... and ill ne damned if I'm gonna clean up her mess! I got pissed. so now its just sitting outside. not sure how to tell her I don't want it anymore because of how it smells and how every piece of fabric on it needs to be washed like 10 times and that the frame needs to be wiped down with hot soapy water...ugh!! plus it was for a boy... not a girl. and I am not too good for hand me Downs.. but somethings like that... id rather have new...especially because this is my first baby. but I've gotten tons of clothes from family who have had girls so I am.super thankful for that.
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM

tell her the truth, just say that it reeks of cigarettes and weed and you don't really have the energy to clean it up so that it doesn't smell that way and then let her know you are just going to go get a new one that is a little girlier.  if she gets embarrased then maybe that's somewhat of a good thing, she will be more mindful of other people next time she offers to give something away.

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd just say "Hey I picked it up but it smells like cigarettes so I'm not going to use it. Do you want it back?"

As for her cleaning it, it was free, I don't think she's obligated to clean it first but I totally understand you not wanting it. I've heard toxins from smoke stays in walls of a house smoked in for 5 years even after cleaning and painting. I'm sure the bassinet would be similar time. I wouldn't chance it.
jamie101789
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I agree with all of that except for the fact that if I was going to be giving someone something used.. I would clean it up for them. especially if it smelled of cigarettes.
Quinn525
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Don't use it. They have found 3rd hand smoke (items that are exposed to smoke) can pass on the carcinogens and still cause cancer. I wouldn't subject my child to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connie45
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Have a bassinet "accident". Maybe a mysterious big hole or broken legs. This is one of those situations where a little white lie is not a bad idea.
TexanMomOf6
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Give the bassinet back to her and put the baby in a crib. You can only use the bassinet a month or 2 anyways.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I tEnd to agree. But imagine the inside of this chick's house? (not op)

Quoting connie45:

Have a bassinet "accident". Maybe a mysterious big hole or broken legs. This is one of those situations where a little white lie is not a bad idea.

jamie101789
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
she is living with her mom(my grandma) right now.. with her three kids and her boyfriend.. and my other aunts son is living there. its a two bedroom home. its ridiculous! any place my aunt has lived in has been trashed by her, the kids and her pets. she's irresponsible. she thinks she can own all of these animals while having children.. her last apartment had ringworm in everything... my mom even called cps on her... they had to evict her and they had to completely remodel the whole apartment. and the smell alone was bad enough. she picked up a really bad drinking habit after her fiance died 3 years ago... but she has always been pretty untidy.. I love her because she is family.. but its hard to be around her and her kids because the kids arent the best either... and its not their fault... which is why it sucks so much. my aunt is the kind of person who should have never had kids.
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM
I agree with this

Quoting HIJKLM:

I'd just say "Hey I picked it up but it smells like cigarettes so I'm not going to use it. Do you want it back?"

As for her cleaning it, it was free, I don't think she's obligated to clean it first but I totally understand you not wanting it. I've heard toxins from smoke stays in walls of a house smoked in for 5 years even after cleaning and painting. I'm sure the bassinet would be similar time. I wouldn't chance it.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM
I agree with this

Quoting HIJKLM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN