Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my son a ball hog? What would you do?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son had his first practice for Pre-K fall soccer last Saturday. He hasn't played soccer before but  he is very enthusiastic and not shy at all. Most of the kids hold back and timidly kick the ball, kick the wrong direction, etc. (As you would expect for this age) As soon as my son makes contact with the ball he shoots straight down the field to the goal, running way ahead of all of the other kids. During practice he scored the only two goals. His coach ended up holding him back so the other kids had a chance to kick the ball, but after a few minutes of them not really going anwhere with it he let my son go and he ran into the pile of kids, flew out the other side and scored. The next half they made him goalie (which he hated-lol).

So here is my question: Would you tell him to hold back so other kids can play, or to play to the best of his ability, even if that means he takes over the ball all the time? If you were a parent of the other kids would it irritate you to have a kid on the team who monopolizes the ball like that? It's not like he refuses to pass, they just really haven't been taught that yet.  When the coach held him back he was cheering for the other kids, and he is in no way show-boating or acting better than the other kids.

Should I tell him to back off sometimes? Or encourage him to always do the best he can to score?

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leeshuh
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Anybody?

bump....

isaacsmommy68
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

dont hold him back. My son was the same way. He started soccer at 5 years old. He is now 10 and plays travel soccer. Let him know to pass to the other kids etc, but dont hold him back. The other kids will learn too. They are still young.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I would work at home on his passing skills so that he can sometimes pass to the other kids.  I wouldn't hold him back though, just work on him learning how to make it more of a team effort by helping the others participate too.

leeshuh
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Thanks! That helps. =) 

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

dont hold him back. My son was the same way. He started soccer at 5 years old. He is now 10 and plays travel soccer. Let him know to pass to the other kids etc, but dont hold him back. The other kids will learn too. They are still young.

leeshuh
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Great idea-we will focus on passing when we practice. Thanks!

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I would work at home on his passing skills so that he can sometimes pass to the other kids.  I wouldn't hold him back though, just work on him learning how to make it more of a team effort by helping the others participate too.

isaacsmommy68
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It takes a few years for them to learn how to work as a team. It will come. Have fun, soccer is addicting!

Quoting leeshuh:

Thanks! That helps. =) 

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You are welcome.  Have fun!  They are so cute when they are little playing sports, lol.

Quoting leeshuh:

Great idea-we will focus on passing when we practice. Thanks!

Quoting countrygirlkat:

nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
dont hol him back. tell him to encourage the other kids to shre the ball with him. they will come round quicker with encouraging from a kid their age. cheer fr the othr kids hen they get the ball it will boost heir self esteem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I wouldn't hold him back. My son has a friend, who is a natural athlete like that, and when they first started soccer, at 4 years old, it didn't bother me that the friend dominated the field. They all catch up:)

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Let him kick butt lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured