Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety attacks? Help??!! Update! Home from appointment

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 39 Replies
I am a young mother I have struggled with my emotions all my life and get real anxious at times and depending on the situation I can get angry or cry.. Well since becoming a mother it has been worse ( go figure lol) it is triggered by her doctors appointments most of the time but I still have other triggers like men am new situations where not comfortable. I'm looking into the possibility of having PTSD from past experiences I do not wish to discuss at this time. I have a therapist I won't see her often since I don't have the money too but I do see her tomorrow so I will talk about this with her but I wanted to ask you Momas first. Does this sound normal?
My daughter has a procedure comming up on the 10 of September she may have to have surgery she does not do well being put under. Today I got very anxious when I found out they want a hearing test done under sedation but it can not be done the same day and time as the other procedure so she has a high chance of being sedated 3 times in two months and I won't beable to have her stay one night over to make sure she is safe because it isn't Policy.. After I got of the phone with the last doctor I had it and broke down I cried and shook until my current bf called and calmed me down by going through our options I've also be having gas and acid reflux all day because of anxiety and it's not getting better because I'm still anxious about tomorrow., if any of this made sense to you does this sound like normal mom jitters or something I should mention?

My post is featured?! Thankyou so much ladies to those who have replied my daughter jut went with her dad and my appointment is at 3:00 today. I am getting very anxious about te appointment and what they will say. I want help but a part of me feels like I'm admitting defeat. I am taking all your ideas into mind I would like to stay away from medication but if it is everyonce in a blue moon thing to help I will give it a try.. Trying yoga sounds like a good thing that I would be interested in and that could help. I woul also like to mention I do keep my calm around my daughter I can usually keep my self together until nap time. Thankyou all again and I will update after my appointment I will try to muster up the curoage to let her know how much anxiety if effecting me.. I do not think I am bi polar but I will leave the diagnosis part up to the therapists and physiatrist. My triggers are my daughters health, men, and my feelings. I always get anxious and anxiety attacks from those things and a weird but helpful thing I do I bake. Any time I feel I'm starting to get anxious I make something lol. Today I have spaghetti in the crock pot! Haha

**** I just got home from the appointment and I'm a bit anxious still trying to calm my nerves. I talked to the therapist and she wants me to take a personality test and then she will send tht to the phsycatrist so I will do that next week
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Sorry you are experiencing these things. 

Here are two things that I think can help you. First, have you tried Yoga or mediation? This could really help you learn how to breath and try to get you to relax.

Second, I learned this at a training in a mental health clinic. If you are having a panic attack and you are not sure if it isa heart attack, slowly raise your hands above your head.  If you can you are NOT having a heart attack.  It is just a panic attack.

I hope you can get some assistance...maybe some medication could help you not lead such a fearful life.

Best of luck..

littlebugs2113
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel for you, I have panic attacks too. idk about 'normal.' Normal is a subjective term. What's normal for you may not be for someone else, or vice versa.

just a little tip -- if you're having an anxiety attack, and if you are able:  take a VERY hot bath, and while ur in the tub - drink a big glass of ICE COLD water . It'll stop the attack in its tracks. Idk why. Someone once told me it has something to do with the conflicting signals of hot skin and cold water in the stomach. Idk if thats true, but it works every time.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Hugs doesn't sound completely normal to me:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSwan001
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Usually if I take a hot bath it goes away but I don't always have the freedom to do so. Thankyou for your advice I appreciate it

Quoting littlebugs2113:

I feel for you, I have panic attacks too. idk about 'normal.' Normal is a subjective term. What's normal for you may not be for someone else, or vice versa.

just a little tip -- if you're having an anxiety attack, and if you are able:  take a VERY hot bath, and while ur in the tub - drink a big glass of ICE COLD water . It'll stop the attack in its tracks. Idk why. Someone once told me it has something to do with the conflicting signals of hot skin and cold water in the stomach. Idk if thats true, but it works every time.

MamaSwan001
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Thankyou for your advice it is defiantly not a heart attack but thanks for the tip :)

Quoting thebailiffs:

Sorry you are experiencing these things. 

Here are two things that I think can help you. First, have you tried Yoga or mediation? This could really help you learn how to breath and try to get you to relax.

Second, I learned this at a training in a mental health clinic. If you are having a panic attack and you are not sure if it isa heart attack, slowly raise your hands above your head.  If you can you are NOT having a heart attack.  It is just a panic attack.

I hope you can get some assistance...maybe some medication could help you not lead such a fearful life.

Best of luck..

MamaSwan001
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I guess I will talk to my therapist and see what her advice is.

Quoting strictmomhere:

Hugs doesn't sound completely normal to me:(

littlebugs2113
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I understand. I have two boys under two (well, one turned 2 last month, and the other is almost 6months) so yeah, it is very hard to get to do that sometimes.
do u know/practice any deep-breathing or thought focusing techniques? Sometimes it helps in the spur of the moment.

try not to worry too too much about something until it happens. Worrying never did anybody an ounce of good, and what we worry about usually never comes to pass anyway. Kids/babies are very resilient, and always so much tougher than we think they are. Just focus on being there for her. Its hard, I know. My oldest spent a week in the hospital and it was one of the hardest times of my life. he did just fine tho. Theyr tough, these little people. :)

hugs hugs hugs :)
aehutmacher
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Wait, a hearing test while sedated? THAT doesn't sound normal. Don't they need her to be awake so that she can respond to noise?
Also, including the sedation for the hearing test, I only counted two times they 'might' put her under. Did I miss the third? Becasuse, I don't know if you mentioned how old she is, but that is a LOT of drugs to be giving a small child.

Anyway, I'm not trying to freak you it more, I'm just confused. But, yes, as a mom, I definitely get anxious way more than I used to. I'd thought about taking meds for it, but decided to just hit the bong instead (JK).
anoncalypse
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Definitely sounds like you're having panic attacks. There is things you can do therapy medication (although I don't recommend medication, but it works for people who want to try it) I have been dealing with panic attacks for 20 years... If you needed to talk feel free to pm me
jett286
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Sorry you're struggling.  Anxiety is no fun.  I have had anxiety for years and was on medication for several years.  Sometimes you just need to balance the chemicals in your body and it works itself out.  I did a combination of counselling (talk therapy) and meds.  My panic attacks are now maybe 1x a year versus almost everyday.  I can now recognize when I need to be alone and take some deep breaths or if I need my lorazepan (which isn't very often barely 3x a year)...talk to your counselor and your Dr. about depression/anxiety meds...It could help a great deal and doesn't have to be forever..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured