Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I just say forget it?

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok here's the deal. I got married young and it has been great. My hubby was just finishing college when we got married. Long story short I was to go when he was done, but we had kids and life goes on. Fast toward 14 I am looking at going to college for the first time. I looked into a private school because it was mainly online. We found out it would be way less costly to go to NDSU- ND state. When going through the financial aid process I found out hubby makes too much so I can only qualify for an unsubsidized Sanford loan meaning interest starts when the loan is taking out. Now here's the thing hubby says we are NOT taking out an unsubsidized loan. I am sure the answer will be the same when I go through the financial aid with NDSU. I kinda feel like I should just say forget and just not go. In a away it almost feels like he doesn't want me to anyways.What would you do?
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Thank you all.

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

If you want to do it, do it. I personally hated college and dropped out. I would never go back but YOU should follow your dreams.

by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Yes, you should go back if it will help your family in the long run
by AnnaLisa on Aug. 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

 i agree

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Yes, you should go back if it will help your family in the long run


by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Part-time is better than not going at all.  And community college will cost much less.  

Is your boss willing to help pay your tuition?

Look into the CLEP program, where you get college credit for life experience/knowledge, by taking tests.  Every credit you can get through CLEP puts you closer to your degree faster.

by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Go to your local unemployment office. Many states offer "displaced homemaker" grants and you may qualify for some of your tuition to be paid for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I would look for privately held scholarships and try to offset the expense that way.

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Go for it! Do something for yourself.

my son is 18 and starting jr. college, he signed up for the federal student aid called FASFA., it's thru the federal govermernt and designed for use for anything from tuition, books, gas, rent or anything student related. It might be kind of late for upcoming semester and I was told that you might have to pay and get re-imbursed for things, but at least it's not a loan.

if you or your hubby work for a good company see if they have any scholarship programs.

and yes thru the unemployment office. I was able to take on-line classes FREE! it was for medical billing/coding and they sent all of the books/materials to me for FREE!! it's called the WIA program. worker investment act thru the goverment. 

Don't back down, GO!!

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If your husband was struck by lightening TOMORROW, would you be able to support your home and family on what YOU make???  If the answer is NO, then GO TO SCHOOL. 

Interest accrues on both subsidized AND unsubsidized loans from day one.  The difference is, on the unsub loan, you need to pay the interest each year.  On the subsidised loan, you do not NEED to pay the interest untill you stop going to school full time, HOWEVER the interest is rolled into the loan, and then you pay interest on the interest--for the life of the loan.  Deferring the interest increases your loan by THOUSANDS.

YOU need to make this decision.  YOU can take out the unsub loan BY YOURSELF.  You do NOT need your husband's approval, or his name on the loan.  Any OTHER loan, except this government one, would have to be based on both your incomes, and carry his name.  

As others have said, starting at community college will save money.  Going part time may seem more affordable, but you will NOT be able to get government loans for part time school.  Probably not private  loans, either.  And if you DO get a private loan, it will cost an arm and leg.

Altho I got a college degree right out of HS, at 40, I decided to return for a DIFFERENT degree.  I took unsub loans in my own name, went to school full time, and finished in 3 years (using some of the credits from my first degree).  I then had a career that was flexible, paid well, and was PORTABLE, which was the whole reason I went back. 

by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If this is important to you, then have a talk with dh and stand up for yourself.  Giving up on something this important just because "it almost feels like " DH doesn't want you to, without having a real discussion about it and how to make it work financially, is giving up pretty fast.  And why does he get to make the decision about no unsub loans himself...why isn't this a decision that you make together?

Nothing comes easy in gotta work for things and not give up at the first discouragement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)