Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should I just say forget it?

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok here's the deal. I got married young and it has been great. My hubby was just finishing college when we got married. Long story short I was to go when he was done, but we had kids and life goes on. Fast toward 14 years...now I am looking at going to college for the first time. I looked into a private school because it was mainly online. We found out it would be way less costly to go to NDSU- ND state. When going through the financial aid process I found out hubby makes too much so I can only qualify for an unsubsidized Sanford loan meaning interest starts when the loan is taking out. Now here's the thing hubby says we are NOT taking out an unsubsidized loan. I am sure the answer will be the same when I go through the financial aid with NDSU. I kinda feel like I should just say forget and just not go. In a away it almost feels like he doesn't want me to anyways.What would you do?
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Replies (21-23):
AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am an NDSU grad and if memory serves me, they have some great scholarship opportunities for OTR students. I'm not sure how they apply to online only, or what is currently offered, but I would definitely check their website for contact info for scholarships and grants--many are not necessarily need based. Depending on what your major is, many of the colleges within the university have their own specific scholarships (Art, English, Animal Science, Range Science, Nursing, Education, Engineering, etc.)

Sorry I can't be of more help--I've been out of school since 1997 and have only been back for an online continuing Ed class or two since.

I would definitely fill out the financial aid info--if you can't afford school with what is offered for aid, or the type of aid offered, you can always turn it down and not go.

GOOD LUCK!
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is something you really want to do, push for it. 

cali_gurl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Don't give up. My hubby has been taking 2 classes per semester at a community college and working 40+ hours a week for 3 years now. We have no college debt from this, and half of his classes have been online and the others were 2 evenings a week on campus after work. He should have a bachelor's degree in 3 or 4 years from the university he is transferring to soon, and he will make good money with his computer science degree. It is worth it. Do it little by little and enjoy the experience.

Quoting Kingermom:

I would prefer to go full time, the sooner I get done the sooner I will be able to move up at work. I work part time and my boss is supportive about me going to school so I can start taking on more. Don't get me wrong my hubby is supportive most of the time he just gets in moods and it makes me feel like I should just say F it and give up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN