Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Mother-in-Law kicked my kids out!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
  • 61 Replies

Okay so a little background information, my mil and I did not get along until 9 years ago when my son was born and my husband was deployed.  We have gotten along great since then and I have turned to her as well as my own mom for all child raising problems I encouner.  Just recently she offered to watch my kids for 3 nights because I had a class to attend an my husband is yet again deployed.  On the last day I got a text saying that the kids were packed and are "no longer welcome in her home."  I left class early and when I got there she had them sitting on the porch with everything they had brought and everything she had ever bought for them to stay at her house.  I tried to ask what happened and was told that I raised self-centered, lying, disrespectful, rude, defiant, and are disrespectful; I apologized and took my kids home. 

After talking to my kids I discovered that she put them in 1 room and would only let them come out to use the restroom, she did not play with them and let them stay up (corroborated by husband who found our son awake when he called his mom at 2am!).  Now she is telling all of my in-laws what a horrible mother I am and they are calling and facebooking me telling me how I should be ashamed of myself for raising such disrespectful kids.  I tried to keep all of this from my hubby because I didn't want him to be caught up in the drama.

My kids are NOT disrespectful, they do have their moments of rudeness, self importance, defiance, and lie.  However, these are things I am well aware of (as was she) and I do correct their behavior when it happens; they are only 7 and 9 and still pushing boundaries every chance they get.  She thinks I don't do anything because I refuse to "beat them."

Sorry this is so long I'm just very disappointed and I keep going through emotions of being mad to depressed and thinking that maybe I am a bad mom...

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM
10 moms liked this

I would be pissed. Your mil sounds like a downright bitch. To kick them out to the porch like that is so immature on her part. If that was my inlaws I would cut them off from ever seeing my kids again.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you are going through a rough time we all do the best we can. I'm sure your not a bad mom if you were a bad mom you wouldn't care!

by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM
3 moms liked this
Your not a bad mom. When you said she locked them in one room it reminded me of a movie I watched on Netflix about how a grandmother locked her kids in a room and started to kill them and their mother ignored them. Very sad movie, but on the up side the kids got out alive.

On another note maybe her not wanting the kids around is a good thing. I would try and explain everything to your hubby. I know he is deployed but if you don't tell him and he finds out with some other source it could be bad. At least that's what I know.

I'm sorry your going through this. Big hugs
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't be letting her watch them again. Wtf.
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Your MIL sounds like a major cunt. I say good riddance!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I don't think your a bad mom. Your MIL was wrong to do that to your kids. I don't know what I would do without my MIL. I've been at the hospital for a week now with my week old baby girl. Getting treated.for and infection and my MIL has been helping my fiancé take care of our other two kids. She loves her grand kids and would never do that to them. Sorry your going through that just keep away for a while and she will end up calling to see the kids
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
5 moms liked this

I would definitely not be asking her to babysit overnight again...ever.  You should tell your dh what happened, pronto, before his mom gives him her version of how terrible they were.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Thank you ladies! I did send my hubby an email giving him the basics and he called this morning. We decided to wait until he gets back to let her see them again and that's only with his supervision. They will never be spending the night there again. I'm avoiding phone calls from that side of the family and trying to spend as much time as possible with my kids so they know I love them and will never throw them out!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

She expected your kids to stay in one room for three days? 

by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM
There is soooo much information that is missing. You weren't there, you don't know the whole story.
I would insist that your MIL and the kids sit down with you and I would ask for play by play details of what happened. Not picking out details, but what happened from the very moment that they walked in the door to the moment you picked the kids up.
They make up your mind from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)