Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

brushing teeth, already?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay so my little girl is 20 months old and she wants to brush her teeth all the time. Should I let her? When should they start brushing their teeth?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocamom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Let her do it herself but then you should go over them to make sure she got them all.
aimesnyc
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM

You should start brushing their tooth as soon as they get teeth.  To prevent cavities, you know?

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Let her. But then you brush them too. My oldest walked around with a tooth brush all the time
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
In general, it's best to encourage as much good behavior as possible. If she wants to brush, let her.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
You should brush gums some and as soon as they get teeth. You are behind the 8 ball if you have never brushed your 20 month olds teeth ever. If you are asking for her to brush her own, yep she is old enough, and finish the job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VIVXI
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My DD is 2 now, she started brushing her teeth around 20 months. She loves it and feels so accomplished. I just make sure she gets every little tooth.

creoletexan
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM
As soon as my son got teeth, we started brushing his teeth. He started going to the dentist every 6 months at the age of one. I let him brush his own teeth when he wants to and just follow up behind him
Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

She wants to walk around or sit all the time and brush?  Or she wants to do it without your help at teethbrushing time?  If she wants to do it by herself at teethbrushing time, let her and then finish up.  If she likes the toothbrush and enjoys playing teeth brushing, then I'd let her have an extra very soft brush and not add any toothpaste to it and just let her play brushing.

DaniandTom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

As far as letting her walk around with a toothbrush-no. She could easily fall and ram it down her throat. But while you supervise, there is nothing wrong with allowing her to brush as long as you follow up with brushing so you know every tooth is cleaned properly. Trust me--she'll get over wanting to do this. LOL

countrymommy11
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I make her stay in the bathroom when we are brushing teeth. Lol. I don't want her tripping and getting hurt.

Quoting DaniandTom:

As far as letting her walk around with a toothbrush-no. She could easily fall and ram it down her throat. But while you supervise, there is nothing wrong with allowing her to brush as long as you follow up with brushing so you know every tooth is cleaned properly. Trust me--she'll get over wanting to do this. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)