Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how old is too old for a boy and a girl to continue sharing a bedroom?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 62 Replies

my ds is 3 yo and my dd is 22 mo.. they're been sharing a room since my dd was 3 mo.. that was because we used to lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, but we bought a house this year..it has 3 bedrooms but one of the kid's bedrooms has a door to the yard.. we don't like this room, and we think it could be unsafe for the kid who sleep there..we want to build a new bedroom next year, hope we had the money..
anyway my kids are to close, sometimes my dd takes naps on my ds's bed.. I think if we separate them it would be difficult for her..
is my ds to old to be sharing a bedroom with his sister? or when would he be that old to be sharing a room?
also we're expecting a baby girl in december, she probably would be sleeping in our bedroom the first 6 months 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bpryce
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
3 moms liked this
siblings of opposite gender should be allowed to share a bedroom until one of them starts going through puberty (which is about 12). once they get to the teen years it would be really weird if they shared a room, but as children i think its perfectly fine.
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I shared a room with my bro untill I was 8 and he was 10. If I were in your situation I would more your ds right before the new baby comes and give him a big boy room. If your dd is still in a crib maybe you could get her a big girl bed the same time brother is moving out and let her help pick out new things for the baby to have in their new room. Make it fun and exciting for everyone. Make a day out of it and do lunch and the whole. 9
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I think when they are ready for their own spaces, they will let you know.  I have known brothers and sisters to share rooms through adulthood willingly as well as elementary age wanting their own separate rooms.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its ever wrong for a brother and sister to share a room. I think once they ask for sperate rooms is when its time to move them.

AbbyCarrera
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

this is a really good idea.. ds still sleeps in a toddler bed and we were thinking in getting a twin bed.. we could do everything in the same day... thanks for your advice :)

Quoting cupcake_mom:

I shared a room with my bro untill I was 8 and he was 10. If I were in your situation I would more your ds right before the new baby comes and give him a big boy room. If your dd is still in a crib maybe you could get her a big girl bed the same time brother is moving out and let her help pick out new things for the baby to have in their new room. Make it fun and exciting for everyone. Make a day out of it and do lunch and the whole. 9

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

AbbyCarrera
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Probably we make it more of a problem than them, I mean they're totally Innocent.. but I have 2 sisters and no brothers, so I don't have any idea.. my husband shared a room with her sister for many years and he is the one who is more worry about it.. not because is inappropriate but he had a bad time sharing with her sister

Quoting Retrokitty:

I don't think its ever wrong for a brother and sister to share a room. I think once they ask for sperate rooms is when its time to move them.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I have a 5.5 boy a 3.5 girl and a 2 yr old girl in one room.

They'll share for a while cause we have no space. I'd say its fine until they start asking for privacy.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I say 7 or 8. They need space.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbbyCarrera
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

that's what I though, probably they'll be sharing a room for the next year, and the baby will have to share the room with both of them for a couple of months

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I have a 5.5 boy a 3.5 girl and a 2 yr old girl in one room.

They'll share for a while cause we have no space. I'd say its fine until they start asking for privacy.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I think It's o.k. as long as they are both comfortable with it.

With the door, you could screw the door shut or since you own just take the door out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN