Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4+ kids?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hello :) I'm new to the group. Funny, I was actually on CafeMom 6 years ago when I was trying to get some advice from people regarding the birth of my second son. Here I am now again looking for more advice! I'm recently remarried. I have two children from my previous marriage (both boys, ages 5 & 10) and my husband has two children from his previous marriage (girl, 6 and boy, 8). We've begun talks of "should we have another?". We both love kids and we are financially stable. I think our biggest concerns are: five kids just "sounds" like so much (lol, I guess 4 does too), do we want to start diapers/daycare all over again (we both work), and even though all 4 kids, on separate occasions and completely on their own, have expressed their desire for us to have a baby - how will this decision, should be come to a yes, affect them?

Does anyone have any similar experiences, either personal or through someone you know, that you're willing to share? I'd love to hear from someone who's been here. What they did, and how it all worked out.

Thank you!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I'm from a blended family. Daddy had two, step mom had two, they had two together. So we had 6. I love it, still do, and have 4 of my own already. I hope DH comes around and wants more.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

At least they are older.......  My brother will have 4 kids under the age of 6 in october.  He has a set of b/g twins in that mix.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM
I think you need to ask if 20 years down the road you would.regret not having another. I always look long term... life is.meant to be crazy with kids! :)

My family isn't blended, but big kids get so much out of having babies around. My big guy has been awesome with his sister.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Tough! I understand the need to bridge that gap and make the final connection.

But if you're done you're done and you like your lifestyle with work and older kids, that's a hard call.  GL either way!!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

You will need to set up a very firm schedule and rules everyones follows to help run the house more smoothly.

jojo_star
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I'm currently pregnanpregnant with our first together. We are a blended family, our other four are 12, 15, 15, and 17.
JFisch
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Thank you guys so much for all if your responses! Yes, it is such a hard decision. That's a good idea to picture it all 20 years down the road. Boy we have done talking to do....yesterday I told him it was the hardest decision ever! Like 10 times a day I think I've made up my mind. The problem is half the time, I've made it up to "yes!" And the other half of the time it's a "no!"
mom2jasper
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
If I was in your position, I think I would say yes. I've always wanted a big family. My plan is to have 4 (2 boys/2 girls). And then to adopt if we can handle the financial responsibility. Now I only have one boy and we are trying for #2. But that's just me. If a big family isn't for you, stick with what you have now.
godsgirl26
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Its really up to you. I have 4 kids and we are so done although my daughter has mention she wanted a little brother but thats not going to happen.

AMRios
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We have 4 together but I would love to have another one... I am a SAHM so I wouldn't do daycare but to each their own... Diapers, diaper bags, formula, breastfeeding, sleepless nights are all things you need to think about too... Do you want to start all over?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)