Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self-Care for Moms?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
Background: I have a 2.5yo son and 9mo daughter. I am a SAHM. We live with their father, who works from home (kind of, not really) and not much help -- he does pitch in once in a blue moon. I have no friends and family here. I went to see a doctor for my overdue follow-up from a neck injury that happened three months ago from carrying my daughter in a front-pack carrier and over-exerting myself. The doctor recommended I get physical therapy.

My concerns: How can I take better care of myself? I don't have time for physical therapy. My son has ABA and he's going to start attending some speech group therapy soon. My daughter is young and she's also exclusively breastfeeding. What do you moms do to take care of yourself and stay healthy and strong? What would you recommend I do -- preferably something that can be done at home, at night, and quiet? Not sex...I can sense some of you are going to make fun of me with that. No no no.

Update 9.29: I have to go to physical therapy...there's a knot/lump/tension on my back below my neck... Thanks for the advice
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Sounds like everything is a bummer.

I like to soak my feet in hot water then cover them with olive oil and fuzzy socks.

I like working out but I imagine it's not a huge choice with your neck thing.

I also love my job, it's kind of my hobby I guess.

Can you find fun things to share with your kids? Their interests quickly became my interests...

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I would ask the doctor what physical therapy you can do at home and include the children.  You do not want to let the injury get worse and then you will really be laid up.

For my "me "time, i read alot and listen to music.  I dance around goofy since i can not remember actual steps.

SentRegards
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Go to Barnes and noble, pick up a physical therapy book and maybe a physical therapist assistant book (skim thru a few to find a good one) the ones they use for schooling & look up your injury & do it yourself
Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

You should get your PT even if you have to get someone to watch the children.  You should be able to arrange with the therapist that your sessions are limited in time so you don't have to worry about getting back to breastfeed.

funhappymom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

You should get your PT even if you have to get someone to watch the children.  You should be able to arrange with the therapist that your sessions are limited in time so you don't have to worry about getting back to breastfeed.

I agree with this.

I would also encourage you to start eating healthy food- avoid pre-packaged stuff as much as you can, play with your kids and just be active with them.

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The thing about doing the PT yourself is that it is fine about the exercises but does not include the therapy equipment that the therapist has. The physical therapist will be able to find exactly where the problem is and what is needed to help. She can use equipment that goes deeply into the area and helps relieve inflammation.  I am not associated with a PT company, but I have used them several times to help relieve pain and assist in recovery from injuries. Another problem with getting a book and doing the exercises on your own is that you could injure yourself further or strengthen areas that are contrary to what is needed. Even a couple PT sessions would help you with the exercises- if you go this route, be sure to tell the therapist what you have in mind so they can help you do exercises that will help.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
You have to make time. It is honestly that simple. Being gone for an hour or 2 isn't unfeasible. Tell your SO you have am appointment and go
MountieMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Your 3 year old may be more difficult to accommodate but even so, lots of physios understand people have kids. Look for a smaller practice and bring a play pen for the kiddies. Or if you can just bring your 9 month old. Perhaps book at nap time and get there early and walk with her in a stroller so she falls asleep there.

Moms used to do it at a clinic I went to.
MountieMama
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
But I relax by taking baths with Epsom salts. I searched homemade beauty treatments and treat myself sometimes. I sit outside. I have a bad shoulder injury so I understand physical limitations. I find a hobby helps - I'm going to try making Christmas cards with card stock and scrap Christmas fabric.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)