Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medication question*** update***

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 2yo ds went to the er last winter for pneumonia he didn't have to take all the medication they gave him. One of which was for a cough. I saved it for another time. And now he is sick again and he sounds aweful with his cough. It keeps him awake at night. Do you think it would be ok if I gave him some of it?

*** update ***

Well the dr says he has a real bad ear infection in his left ear and a slight case of pneumonia. She gave him amoxicillin for both. And said it was ok to give him the cough med from before when he had pneumonia. Anyone have any other tips on how to make this more comfortable for him?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
catevincesmom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I wouldn't w/o doc's okay.  Hope he feels better. 

Bleacheddecay
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Is it a wet sounding or productive cough? Then no.

Is it a dry sounding and non productive cough? Then maybe, at night, call your doctor to be sure.

DaniandTom
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

If it was you, I'd say ok to try. Since it's your child, I think you need to check with the doctor first. Cough syrups last a lot longer than the expiration date but we have to be so careful with our children! What may not hurt you could hurt him. Call the doc and let them know you still have some of this left. They'll probably ok you to give it to him until you can get him seen but make sure first.

matthew314
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM
It hasn't expired yet. Last night was a rough night. He had coughed so much he made himself throw up. And was saying his chest hurt.

Quoting DaniandTom:

If it was you, I'd say ok to try. Since it's your child, I think you need to check with the doctor first. Cough syrups last a lot longer than the expiration date but we have to be so careful with our children! What may not hurt you could hurt him. Call the doc and let them know you still have some of this left. They'll probably ok you to give it to him until you can get him seen but make sure first.

DaniandTom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I trust you got him in to see the doctor today. I hope he's ok. Poor little guy!

Quoting matthew314:

It hasn't expired yet. Last night was a rough night. He had coughed so much he made himself throw up. And was saying his chest hurt.

Quoting DaniandTom:

matthew314
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
We are actually going in tomorrow morning. The dr didn't have any openings today. Will give an update tomorrow when we know something

Quoting DaniandTom:

I trust you got him in to see the doctor today. I hope he's ok. Poor little guy!

Quoting matthew314:

Quoting DaniandTom:

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Whooping cough is going around I would check with his pedi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)