Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2 year old is out of control

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

We have tried popping his hand, popping his butt, if he screams at us we lightly pop his cheek, I have tried to do time out but he gets up, we have even tried the corner....I am out of choices he is driving me so crazy he doesnt listen to either of us we tell him stop feeding the dogs he thinks we are playing, we tell him to pick up toys or get out of the window sill, or get off the dog kennel because it will break and he doesnt listen. when we try to disepline him he screams at us and swings his hands like he is going to hit us. I love my boy to death but if i cant gain control soon i feel like it will be like this forever and we cant try to have another if he is always like this and then i fear the next one will be the same way. any advice for this mom in distress. another fear is that this stress of his acting up is a reason us ttc #2 is not happening.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
chocolat-smiles
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Bump for help
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Yeah, 2 year olds suck. Lol

Don't worry, as long as you are firm and consistent, he will grow out of it. Consider not popping his hand or butt anymore, because he's definitely mimicking. The best thing you can do is take it all in stride. Any reaction- even an angry one is a reward for a toddler! Say "No" firmly, and remove him from the kennel or take away things he shouldn't have. Over and over and over again. Eventually, they do give up! My youngest (of 4 boys) is almost 2. He tries my patience worse than the other 3 combined!! But, it's just a phase. :)
funhappymom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I agree with this. I would also encourage you not to pop his hand or his butt. At this age, they learn a lot from mom and dad and hitting is one. They don't understand that you are hitting for punishment. Good luck.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Yeah, 2 year olds suck. Lol

Don't worry, as long as you are firm and consistent, he will grow out of it. Consider not popping his hand or butt anymore, because he's definitely mimicking. The best thing you can do is take it all in stride. Any reaction- even an angry one is a reward for a toddler! Say "No" firmly, and remove him from the kennel or take away things he shouldn't have. Over and over and over again. Eventually, they do give up! My youngest (of 4 boys) is almost 2. He tries my patience worse than the other 3 combined!! But, it's just a phase. :)

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The best thing to do is remove him from the situation. But you have to be consistant. Don't just tell him no and then no do anything. If he is feeding the dogs his food, remove the dogs from the area or take away his lunch. The reason he is swinging his hand to hit you is because you do that to him. They learn from our behavior. If you hit, he hits. If you laugh, he laughs and thinks it is fun.

It is so important to be consistant and remove them from the issue first. They will learn that when they see. If they get removed or things taken away, they will know that if they do that they lose out.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

daisybaby91
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
He is learning the swinging his hands trying to hit you from you "popping" him. Calling it "popping" doesnt change what it is; hitting. Definitely dont hit him in the face... Give him time out, sit with him and be as calm as possible but firm. Dont let him get up. YOU are the parent, and YOU are in charge, not him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)