Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Precious Biter

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 5 Replies

My precious little angle recently turned a year old.  With that she picked up a new habit at daycare; she has been biting her friends.  I was informed that she is not doing this in defense or as an outburst but more as a casual encounter.  She only bites her friends in the nursery.  Once they move her out to the older children she does not bite them.  In fact she stays more to herself.  My question is how do we get her to stop?  She is so very young, I cannot reason with her, if I am not with her when it happens I cannot do anything.  The daycare puts her in the highchair on a time out when this occurs.  

She has bitten me on occasion and I have told her that it was naughty and that it hurts.  She does cry but it still occurs days later.  Any thoughts?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM
keep it up. she's testing you to see if you will stop telling her that its naughty and hurts.
Also she's old enough for a 2 minute time out for biting. EVERY SINGLE TIME INCLUDING DAY CARE! Tell them she bites and you want her to sit in a crib for 2 minutes after they tell her that was naughty. It has to be consistent all across the board to get her to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Keep being stern with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM
All u can do is keep telling her :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Keep being stern.

Encourage your daycare to keep informing you but also enforcing the discipline there too.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

She will learn eventually, it takes awhile. We were told to remove the biter but leave them within the area of the child who got bit, so they could see the child being consoled. They learn that they did this behavior and made someone else cry.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)