Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for moms with babies

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

Ok so I had my daughter July 16th of this year and i breastfeed her and me and my boyfriend decided a couple nights ago it seemed ok for us to resume out sex life... well we didn't have a condom and read online that breastfeeding can be a way of contraseptive since it causes ur body to not make a special hormone... he finished inside me and is now worried I'm pregnant again. Has any of u ladies used the breastfeeding method?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Get ready to have another baby. You are most fertile right after having a baby, breastfeeding MAY prevent you from conceiving but it isn't effective birth control. Good luck. 

How old are you? 

sweetieiv
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM
There is no "breast feeding" method. Breast feeding is NOT birth control. You look young but even my 14 yr old niece knows this: you only need to ovulate in order to get pregnant. Just because your period is suspended does not mean you can not get pregnant. You can take a pregnancy test but just remember next time to be smart.
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Sorry but uhhhh.....breastfeeding is not birth control.
Justice_Page
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Oh well that's the last time I listen to anybody other than my OB/GYN DX sorry if this seemed like a stupid question and I'm 17
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Never any stupid questions on this site.   Who told you about this supposed method?  I can tell you that it does not work since my sister in law conceived her TWINS while still breastfeeding her 3 month old daughter.   I have also known people to tandem nurse so obviously it did not work for them either.

Justice_Page
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
My cousin mentioned it to me and we looked it up online and asked a couple family members.
Justice_Page
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Everyone pretty much had the same answer that supposedly when u breastfeed ur body doesn't produce a hormone that causes ovulation.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Check out Kelly mom & the breastfeeding group here. They have tons of info. Breastfeeding can cause you to not ovulate but it's usally just the first 6 months & there are some strict guidelines to follow. You can basically start ovulating at any time & since you ovulate before your period starts it's hard to tell if you are ovulating. Have your periods started back up again? Are you exclusivly breastfeeding at this point. For me eventhough I was following the guidelines I started my period back 4 months post partum. Everyone seems to be different with this so I think it's important to use birth control. You want to go with a non hormonal option because the hormones in birth control can affect your supply. I got Para Guard (the non hormonal IUD) as soon as I could because I didn't want any accidents. Like I said check with the breastfeeding group here, they are awesome & helped me a ton :)

JMmama
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Exactly. Yes, breast feeding can prevent ovulation but you must be ecologically breast feeding, which is different than exclusively breast feeding. Baby needs to be younger than 6 months old, your period must not have returned, baby needs to be nursing at least every 4 hours and has had no artificial nipples. So if your baby sleeps more than 4 hours at a time (including overnight) or has had a bottle (even of pumped breast milk) or takes a paci than you need another method.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Check out Kelly mom & the breastfeeding group here. They have tons of info. Breastfeeding can cause you to not ovulate but it's usally just the first 6 months & there are some strict guidelines to follow. You can basically start ovulating at any time & since you ovulate before your period starts it's hard to tell if you are ovulating. Have your periods started back up again? Are you exclusivly breastfeeding at this point. For me eventhough I was following the guidelines I started my period back 4 months post partum. Everyone seems to be different with this so I think it's important to use birth control. You want to go with a non hormonal option because the hormones in birth control can affect your supply. I got Para Guard (the non hormonal IUD) as soon as I could because I didn't want any accidents. Like I said check with the breastfeeding group here, they are awesome & helped me a ton :)

2lilmamas
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Get ready for another bundle of joy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)