Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How can I not afford a baby? :(

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 115 Replies

I found out I was pregnant a week ago, after thinking I was unable to have children. I want to raise a child more than anything, and certainly can't imagine aborting, but I can't seem to figure out a way to do this financially-alone. I cannot count on the father-at all. He says he will help where he can, but I cannot COUNT on it at all. My family is excited, wants to help but I know they don't have money so I'm not sure why they say "It will work out, we'll help" They want to give free childcare, but are unstable. My aunt has recently developed an addiction, and my mom is on disability because her brain just isn't able to work normally. She sometimes doubles/forgets she took her medications, can't stay awake and has six parrots that often run amuck as she falls asleep. She was a great mom to me, and maybe could get it together if she had a reason-I think partially she falls asleep due to having no purpose in life.

I make $14 an hour, soon to be $15. Minimum wage here in Oregon is $8.80. My mortgage is fairly low for the area, and I have plenty of money to throw around each month-I go out a lot, buy ridiculous amount of unnecessary items. (Which I wouldn't do anymore-I think it was filling the void of wishing I was a parent.) I am at that exact point where I seem to make JUST too much to get state benefits or WIC (not that I want them), but definitely not enough to afford even cheap childcare. I will get healthcare through my job for $162 a month in 6 weeks, but will be getting on Oregon Health Plan before that-not sure if this will count as pre-existing or what.

Here is a rundown of my basic budget. I get $500 a month from a renter-I could possibly rent out the third room and keep the baby in my room. Not ideal, but it's a possible solution. Any others are greatly appreciated.  

1736 Net paycheck
500 Renter
2236   Total Net Income
1050 mtg/tax/insurance
60 avg electric
106 phone
150 car gas 
50 avg heat
30 garbage
60 avg water
16 TV
20 Gym
50 Web
300 food 
13 oil change (divided by 3 mos)
30 Home Insurance
60 Auto Insurance
1995   Total Expenses
241   Income - Expenses
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BMM0508
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Cut out some expenses. Ive been divorced for 2 years and havent had cable....for 2 years. I recently moved and things have changed and ive had to cut out internet.
Raise rent a lil maybe?
Good luck and congrats!! You can do it!!
jojo_star
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Cut out tv, gym, and web, unless you need web for school or work. Raise rent a little, drive less, and budget down on your food. Get a cheaper phone. With a child, you may make enough to qualify for government aid.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Cut out gym, web, and tv. Those are luxuries. Phone $106. Get a much cheaper $50 a month phone, or less.
Why does everyone want aid, ugh. You are having a child. Be responsible for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I figure you probably have a contract phone, but you can cut the phone bill in half by getting a net ten for 45 a month unlimited data, texts,  long distance.  

Use cloth diapers  instead of disposables.  It will save a couple thousand dollars.  Also Health insurance will most likely pay for a breast pump, so breastfeed.  Is free and healthy for both you and the baby.

congrats!  Hopefully you can get some child support.  He'll have to pay it, but I understand there are dudes who find a way around it by staying unemployed.  You should like you are doing well for yourself though. 

rgba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
You spend $156 on phone and web? Too much. Get a landline instead, or a cheap mobile.

Skip the gym.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Going to the gym is not a luxury!  It's a nessesity for you and your health. It will also keep you engaged in healthy activities with other people.  

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
3 moms liked this
We disagree on that. Walk outside for fre or exercise at home for free. Someone wants taxpayers money but pays for a gym?? What is wrong with this picture??

Quoting alc4evermom:

Going to the gym is not a luxury!  It's a nessesity for you and your health. It will also keep you engaged in healthy activities with other people.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Skip the gym, get a few prenatal workout dvds from a used movie store to use while you're pregnant. Is it just you for now? I think you can probably cut your grocery budget at least a little bit, start shopping with coupons now for diapers and baby food. Many insurance companies provide breastpumps now, so try your hardest to breastfeed. Cut the cell bill, you can get a prepaid for 35-45 a month. Perhaps think about working a part time second job while pregnant so you can save up some money for the larger purchases, like baby furniture?

baquick
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Raise rent a little. Maybe to $600
Cut the gym (chances are you won't have time or energy for it for several months anyway). I walked with baby in a stroller and play dates to work out after I had DS. I also had access to a wii fit a couple times a week.
See if you can lower the cell phone bill any by citing used minutes (found out I was WAY over paying for minutes I wasn't getting close to using).
Use cloth diapers and breast feed if you can. Pump until you can't.
I would look and see if there was cheaper Internet in your area. I know I would go batty without Internet/TV
baquick
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I will say that dh and I live on less. Our child does not suffer in the least for necessities.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)