Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My kids are the reason she punishes hers!!!

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
  • 23 Replies
We have been in our current home for about 2 years. The neighborhood is very nice and the neighbors are very hospitable. ..or at least we thought. Our next door neighbor has a daughter close in age to one of mine. The kids have played together since day 1 with no problem. Recently the mom stopped talking with me and tells her daughter not to play with my kids. I never saw any problems or issues so I am completely baffled and the kids are hurt. Today my girls came to me and said the little girl had to go to time out for playing with them....I'm pissed and shocked she said that to my kids. How would you handle this? Would you confront the mom?
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Go over there and be really friendly and just tell what you've heard from your kids, kids can often get the stories wrong, and ask her if you have offended her in some way. Just don't have an attitude, maybe you can find out what's wrong and fix it. You don't want to start a war you have to live next door to them.

PrinceMomma486
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm really trying to drop the attitude I have! These pregnancy hormones don't really help right now...I might send my husband since I am way more overprotective than him when it comes to these things..

Quoting Lindalou907:

Go over there and be really friendly and just tell what you've heard from your kids, kids can often get the stories wrong, and ask her if you have offended her in some way. Just don't have an attitude, maybe you can find out what's wrong and fix it. You don't want to start a war you have to live next door to them.

Bleacheddecay
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I agree. This.

Quoting Lindalou907:

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

If she told her kid not to play with yours then the kid should get in trouble for not obeying mom. I remember when a friend was grounded (no idea why and I wasn't aware before hand) friend still came out to play and got in trouble. Her mom then told me she was in trouble for playing cause she was grounded. I apologized and said I didn't know and went home. No biggie, it meant that I knew not to call on buddy until she was off punishment, so the temptation was gone too. 

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I would go over and talk to the mom
sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see why you are "pissed"  The other mom changed her mind, and doesn't want you or your kids in her life.  That is her RIGHT, and she does NOT have to explain it to you.  It is also none of YOUR business what punishment she hands out to her children, for whatever reason.  I think you should get yourself under control, back off, and find other friends.

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go over and casually ask her what the issue is.  I wouldn't push it or try to change her mind but I would ask why she suddenly changed her rules.  I would then tell my own children to stay away from the neighbors and to play with other friends.

PrinceMomma486
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I'm pissed because she said to my kids hers was in trouble for playing with them. My children don't think they did anything wrong and it's kinda rude to come out and say that to a 5 and 7 year old. I tell my kids straight up why I would prefer them not to play with other kids, I'd never go straight to the kid and tell them I'm punishing my kids because of them....

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I don't see why you are "pissed"  The other mom changed her mind, and doesn't want you or your kids in her life.  That is her RIGHT, and she does NOT have to explain it to you.  It is also none of YOUR business what punishment she hands out to her children, for whatever reason.  I think you should get yourself under control, back off, and find other friends.

Karen_S
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Let it be. She gets to decide who her kids play with.  Something clearly happened, but if she didn't talk to you about it, the she doesn't want to.  Her choice. 

2lilmamas
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Quoting bcauseimthemom:

I would go over and casually ask her what the issue is.  I wouldn't push it or try to change her mind but I would ask why she suddenly changed her rules.  I would then tell my own children to stay away from the neighbors and to play with other friends.

This exactly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)