Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bug Spray not working! HELP please!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 21 Replies

Well.....there is a lil girl who I watch and has horrible reactions to bug bites!  We thought she had a spider bite but it was only a mosquito.  :(  We've tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked.  Even LONG pants!  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried:  OFF Spray, Some sort of wipe, dryer sheets, lotions, and long sleeves/pants

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it at your home?
Plant marigolds and lemon grass in pots around your yard. I started doing that a couple years ago and definitely noticed a difference. I'm sure there's also other plants that repel them also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I did not know this!  THANK YOU!

Yes, we live in Western part of Ga and the mosquitos are horrible!  We are not near a lake or water.  But it just seems they are just awful this year.  :(

Quoting snowangel1979:

Is it at your home?
Plant marigolds and lemon grass in pots around your yard. I started doing that a couple years ago and definitely noticed a difference. I'm sure there's also other plants that repel them also.

MikaNTey314
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Have you taken her to the doctor? There may be an antibiotic she can't take
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Yes, she's been to pedi.  Took her Friday.  The spot was larger than a half dollar :(  But it was just a reaction and pedi said to give benadryl which doesn't work anyway.  I can't keep all the other kids inside b/c she's allergic........

Quoting MikaNTey314:

Have you taken her to the doctor? There may be an antibiotic she can't take

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Skin so soft from avon worked wonders its a oil i spray it on my kids;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SWEET737
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think Lemon( Citrus) Lotion works the best for my kids who seems to be very allergic to mosquito bites. 

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I ended up putting a stong bug repellent on my kids' clothes, not their skin, and this helped. 

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
There is actually a disease that people have whee they are duller hoc to Mosquitos. I'll look it up....
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Skeeter syndrome. But it doesn't look like there is much else to do. Ice, topical steroids and oral steroids when it's really bad.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Walk around the yard (and neighborhood) and look for water catches like flower pots, buckets, etc.  Mosquitos can breed in as little as a teaspoon of water.   Buzzaway is a good all natural insect repellant so is catnip oil.  It just has to be reapplied.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)