Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Crying it Out

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just a bit of advice about crying it out.  A lot of people are against it, and I agree that you shouldn't fight all your maternal instincts to comfort your newborn when she wakes crying in the middle of the night (while you wince the whole while).  But, on the other hand, if you've comforted, and your little one just keeps crying, and you feel like this is getting no where and you're at the verge of loosing it (or even if you're not), its ok to set the baby in her crib and walk away. Walk out of the house if you need to (not too long...but long enough to hear yourself think.  5 minutes away from the crying can do wonders). And go with your instincts. Some babies need a lot of attention to help get to sleep. Some babies need to be left alone so they can figure it out, cause all the attention just keeps them awake. You'll come to know which kind your baby is.

-- UPDATE

Thanks for all the responses everyone.  I should clarify that I didn't mean that it's not ok to leave a baby crying for more than 5 minutes...just wanted to make the distintion between going out the door for a breath of air and quiet and leaving the house for long periods.  Take 10 minutes if you need it.  Just don't go take an hours drive.  :-)  My first child needed a lot more than 5 minutes solitude to get to sleep.  

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes I agree.   I feel bad for all the parents who think CIO means you allow the baby to cry for hours on end w/o going in their room to comfort them.  Since we live in an apartment i did not start CIO until she was older than a year old and let our neighbors know so if they heard crying they would not worry.  Whatever we did, we did right since the first time dd went to grandmas for an overnight she was the easiest of all the grandchildren to go to sleep and stay asleep.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, it's safer to leave a baby cry in the crib for five mins, than to lose it and abuse it

-PB
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I agree.  I don't like cio for sleep training but if you feel like you are going to loose it no harm in taking a 5 minute break to keep your sanity once in a while.

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I agree. I had a baby who would never go to sleep until left alone, even if that meant being left to cry for five minutes. I would have gone crazy if I hadn't figured that out.

AbbeysMom2013
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I agree. My daughter is four months, maybe twice I have set her in the crib for a few min to cry so I could take a breath. And that was only after trying to comfort her for a wile.
Chandrey
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM
How old is too old for a toddler to cry it out? It seems after my daughter turned one she cries about everything i even started getting concerned.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I don't cry it out. If I need a break, I have my husband.

Lose*

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)