Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Trichotillomania, any advice to help stop the cycle.

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 32 Replies
My 9 year old daughter won't stop pulling out her eye lashes..now it's spread to her eyebrows. She stopped for awhile but it's gotten worse, anyone out there dealing with a similar situation.

Sorry about the spelling & grammer mishaps hate typing on my phone but it's the only computer I have for now. Also thanks for all the helpful replies.
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I have never heard of it and never had to deal with it.  Does she do it with her fingers or with tweezers?  If it is with tweezers then I would make sure she has no access to them.  If she does it with her fingers then maybe make her wear gloves until she stops.  Maybe it is a nervous habit though so looking into why she does it might be good.  Good luck.

olliespunkma
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
She will pull them out with her fingers usually when I put her to bed. I have considered making her were gloves to bed but only way I can think of to keep them on would be to tape them & that doesnt seem ideal

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I have never heard of it and never had to deal with it.  Does she do it with her fingers or with tweezers?  If it is with tweezers then I would make sure she has no access to them.  If she does it with her fingers then maybe make her wear gloves until she stops.  Maybe it is a nervous habit though so looking into why she does it might be good.  Good luck.

Bleacheddecay
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I know of an adult and a child younger than yours. They got help and it got better. One thing that helped the younger one was to wear a hat. She was pulling out the hair on her head.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would probably tape them but make it where the tape doesnt' stick to the skin.  That is what the doctor's told us to do with my son's eczema in spots where he would scratch constantly and make bleed.  They would have us tape stuff over those spots.  Since you can't obviously tape her eyelashes, maybe taping the gloves on would work.  Then each time she goes to do it she will be reminded not to by the gloves and eventually it will break the habit. 

Quoting olliespunkma:

She will pull them out with her fingers usually when I put her to bed. I have considered making her were gloves to bed but only way I can think of to keep them on would be to tape them & that doesnt seem ideal

Quoting countrygirlkat:

olliespunkma
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM
She kept picking her eyelashes so bad they would get infected so to bribe her to stop I took away treats & they finally grew back nice but just a couple weeks ago she went & pulled them all out again..she claims there itchy..wich they probally were when growing out but once they were long & normal again I thougt mabe we were done with this..tape it is for now I guess. Also just to mention we have been in a cycle of picking & growth since she was around 4.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I would probably tape them but make it where the tape doesnt' stick to the skin.  That is what the doctor's told us to do with my son's eczema in spots where he would scratch constantly and make bleed.  They would have us tape stuff over those spots.  Since you can't obviously tape her eyelashes, maybe taping the gloves on would work.  Then each time she goes to do it she will be reminded not to by the gloves and eventually it will break the habit. 

Quoting olliespunkma:

Quoting countrygirlkat:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Counseling or see a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

What has the doctor suggested for prevention?   i am sure they do itch when growing back since that area is very sensitive.

olliespunkma
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM
We have been cosidering starting counseling but she stopped for almost a year seems lile were gonna have to look into now because it ses more intense than before.

Quoting atlmom2:

Counseling or see a doctor.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

She probably does it somewhat unaware that she is doing it when she is stressed or super tired.  I know my oldest will pull on his hair when he is really tired.  He has never pulled enough to hurt himself or pull it out but it is a comfort thing and he doesn't even realize he does it.  Maybe that is her too?

Quoting olliespunkma:

She kept picking her eyelashes so bad they would get infected so to bribe her to stop I took away treats & they finally grew back nice but just a couple weeks ago she went & pulled them all out again..she claims there itchy..wich they probally were when growing out but once they were long & normal again I thougt mabe we were done with this..tape it is for now I guess. Also just to mention we have been in a cycle of picking & growth since she was around 4.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Quoting olliespunkma:

Quoting countrygirlkat:

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I pulled my hair out in7th grade. Never was treated because my parents didn't know what to do but yell at me. Take her to a therapist. They can help with the compulsion to pull.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)