Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Military moms/spouses need some advice

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

So DH is current an Air Force reservist but he works as a civilian or ART during the week for his unit. He is held to AD standards (uniform, hair, ect) but we dont get the benefits of it. He makes good money but when you factor in that we pay for health, dental, visioon, bills, uniform upkeep ect.

Due to things going on we are looking at switching services and going AD. We both feel this is the right move for our family. But we are looking at Army and Navy. DH wants to go medical. 

I guess im just looking for input about deployments, benefits, ect. Living on base. We have had deployments and tdys in the past and without support as we dont have family near by. 

in love2007 toddler boy 2008   baby girl2012

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Here is another group that may be able to help. Good luck!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I am not a military wife or mom so I am no help but I will bump this up for others to hopefully help out.  Barb's idea of a military group might be helpful too.  Good luck with it all. 

cocoroo
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM

My dh has been in the Army for 13 years and my son is in the AF.  We never live on post, so I'm no help there.  Deployments will depend on his unit.  My dh deploys every year for 4 months, but most of the Army isn't like that.  The benefits are good, if you don't mind waiting for appointments and not having a say in your provider.  I think we pay almost $40/month for dental which is optional.  I am not friends with many military wives.  I like to keep my dh's career separate from the rest of my life.  Military Moms is a pretty active military group on here. He should talk to a recruiter ASAP to see what they say.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

The insurance thing doesnt bother me. We have been on and off tricare for years with deployments and what not. They offer better services for us than our current insurance. We pay double that for dental insurance and the coverage sucks.

He's on orders this month so we wont be able to talk to one until next month. But he has been emailing and corasponding with one. But the problem is being prior service his stuff would be done different. 

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh has been in the Army for 13 years and my son is in the AF.  We never live on post, so I'm no help there.  Deployments will depend on his unit.  My dh deploys every year for 4 months, but most of the Army isn't like that.  The benefits are good, if you don't mind waiting for appointments and not having a say in your provider.  I think we pay almost $40/month for dental which is optional.  I am not friends with many military wives.  I like to keep my dh's career separate from the rest of my life.  Military Moms is a pretty active military group on here. He should talk to a recruiter ASAP to see what they say.

DieselsMom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The first think would be to talk to a recruiter to see if Army or Navy is even an option.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

hes talked to both. both are willing to take him. we are just tryin to decide which is best for us. 

Quoting DieselsMom:

The first think would be to talk to a recruiter to see if Army or Navy is even an option.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM
My husband has been in the marines 7 years. I think housing varies from base to base so depending on the area it may or may not be worth it. We've done both and like each for different reasons. Insurance is good compared to what options I had before military. I think deployments vary between branches and individuals. It also depends on where you are stationed. My husband has only deployed once and is guaranteed to be home for the next 6 months, people at our base have to volunteer to deploy so its not common here, while at our last base it was a common thing for the guys to be gone.
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Navy deployments are shorter than the Army's (6m vs 12m), but they can be a lot more frequent - especially shipboard. I haven't lived in base housing since I was an E3, so I can't really help there.
The benefits, you already know about - Tricare, Housing Allowance, commissary & PX/BX/NEX privileges, and the Fleet & Family Service Center.

Is your husband a medical officer already, or does he want to enlist as a corpsman? If the former, go for it! If the latter, he should see what the Army is offering, because advancement is limited in that rating.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

he works on jet engines now... but there is no advacement options at all, and they dont want to cross train him in the air force. we feel stuck and being a mech is really hard on him.

he wants to go medical since its always bene a pasion. 

Quoting illogicalkat:

Navy deployments are shorter than the Army's (6m vs 12m), but they can be a lot more frequent - especially shipboard. I haven't lived in base housing since I was an E3, so I can't really help there.
The benefits, you already know about - Tricare, Housing Allowance, commissary & PX/BX/NEX privileges, and the Fleet & Family Service Center.

Is your husband a medical officer already, or does he want to enlist as a corpsman? If the former, go for it! If the latter, he should see what the Army is offering, because advancement is limited in that rating.

cocoroo
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Most of the Army is doing 9 month deployments now. MY husband does a 4 month deployment to Afghanistan (until they decide to send them elsewhere) every year on a rotation.

Quoting illogicalkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)