Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do/did know that you wanted kids and were ready?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm about to be 22 and been married for 3yrs and together for 4. I just want to know how you knew you wanted kids and were ready?

I don't even know if I want kids at all so obviously I'm not ready for them. But when your 22 and a lot of people around you have kids starting at 18 or younger it seriously makes you question it. If I know I don't want kids, how can I accept that and just move on without thinking about  it ? (a mom blog may not be the best place to ask this lol) It's just everyone says that you get to an age and it just clicks, you want a baby. And everyone says oh you'll change your mind when your older and all that.

Did any of you guys insist that you didn't want kids then change your mind? and also the original question: How did you know you wanted kids and were ready?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

At 22 I did not want kids. It wasn't until I was about 26 that I started getting that urge. I didn't have my son until I was 32.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM
We were married over 6 years when I got pregnant. We were settled, dh stopped traveling a ton. We bought a house. Both of us had good jobs. Had substantial savings. I turned 30 the month first dd was born.
When we were married neither one of us knew if we wanted kids or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My biological clock wanted kids real bad in my early 20's. Prior to that I absolutely didn't want any kids - ever. My husband at that time didn't want to have any yet. He thought we needed a certain amount of money which was crap. So I got plants, birds and a cat.

My husband decided when I was 29 he was ready. I wasn't sure at all but I went along with it. I was absolutely not sure I was ready and able to be a good parent.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Having kids was always about being with someone who I wanted to have kids with. Never did I ever FELL that I had to be a mother. Even when I dated I refused to date guys with kids bc I didn't want to "deal with another persons child".

I didn't get married till I was 31, so 2 yrs after we got married we felt that it was going to be a now or never situation. We had dd when I was 35.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Welcome!

My first child was a surprise and I definitely wasn't ready but had to become so pretty quickly.

When my ex-husband and I decided to add to our family it was after much thought and talking about it.  We were ready and excited about it when we found out we were going to have our next two children.

If you're at a point where you're unsure if you want children, then it's probably not the time to start having them.  Ignore the people pushing you to have them before you want them.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I knew in my tean years I would not want to get married or have children until my later 20s or at 30.  I was engaged at 29 and married at 30.  My only son was born 9 months later.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I never wanted to get married but I always wanted kids. I was done having kids by 21 and was very happy with two kids.
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I waited to get married at 28, first son at 29, and last at 32. Wait....you have so much fun stuff to do and enjoy your 20's;) Travel, buy the things you really want to, etc.. its a sacrifice I would of not been able to do really young.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

If you don't then don't. Enjoy your time.  :)

I didn't *know* I became preg unplanned the first time. The next one I knew I needed another one lol. They're like salt and pepper shakers.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Welcome to the group btw!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)