Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He's driving me crazy, pls help with childlocks

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
My 22 month old is a pro at breaking child locks. We have them on pretty much everything in our house. All the cabinets, cupboards, drawers, dish washer, stove, toliet, outlets, 3 on the fridge etc..

Well he constantly pulls on the drawers and cabinets hard enough that the plastic lock breaks and he will take everything out of all the time. We have replaced the plastic locks a few times, but they seem kind of cheap and he just keeps breaking them.

Is there any better quality drawer child lock that can withstand a toddler yanking on it daily..
I especially need a good quality fridge lock. We have two on it now and a one on the freezer to keep him from taking all our food out, but he knows how to unlock them.

Right now we have four silverwear drawers underneath eachother with locks on them, with a long pbc tube going through the handles to stop him from opening them, but he knows to pull it out.

Our knive drawers we screwed shut for his safety, but we cant get into them either..

We are very frusterated with constantly keeping him out of everything..
Advice please? I am going to try the child proofing section at babies r us tomorrow.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dutchcanadain
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

time to move every thing up does not sound like fun but your child will be safe ,when my kids where small they where allowed to play in one cupboard the one with pots and pans ,so let him have that and move every thing out of his way

Johlsh
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Unfortunately we have more cabinets near the floor than at our level and we have so many dishes, pots, pans, cleaners, applicances, etc that we need to use all our cupboards, because we have no other place to put those things. We have 30 cabinets at this level and only six above the stove and all those are full with dry goods, china, medications, spices and other breakables.

I need a good child lock that he can't break.

Quoting dutchcanadain:

time to move every thing up does not sound like fun but your child will be safe ,when my kids where small they where allowed to play in one cupboard the one with pots and pans ,so let him have that and move every thing out of his way

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Have you tried the magnetic cabinet locks? We LOVE them! Unlike the kind of latch that you press down, these don't let the cabinet/drawer open at all (maybe a wiggle) without using the magnet, so kiddos can't get their fingers in there to get a grip and pull. I don't know if I can post a link but search for kidco magnet lock. Oh, and they're adhesive, so you can install them in like ten seconds with no tools. We've had them for 2.5 years with no failures or any troubles at all.

Rhodin
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Actual metal padlocks? You might be in trouble if he finds the keys or you forget the combination. You could also try time outs for messing with the drawers, if you haven't already.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:20 AM
2 moms liked this

We never child proofed anything.   We were firm on the no touching certain areas of house since not everywhere we went was child proofed.  She had to know her boundaries.  Make one cabinent all his own.  Tupperware containers, plastic utensils, etc that he can play with and bang on without going into the other cabinents.  You can get these things at dollar tree store if you do not want to use existing items. Boundaries is the name of the game for a toddler in the 2 yr old range and so far he is running all over you guys by beating you at it.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I never locked stuff up i taught my kids not to touch:) keep him where i can see him at all times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Have you tried Tot Loks? The way they work, you need a magnetic "key" to unlock them. The doors/drawers can't be opened without the "key" and don't have any slack in them the way other locks do.

http://www.tot-lok.com/

We loved these because they kept the doors and drawers competely closed so they couldn't get their fingers smashed in them.

amandahavis
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

We never child proofed anything.   We were firm on the no touching certain areas of house since not everywhere we went was child proofed.  She had to know her boundaries.  Make one cabinent all his own.  Tupperware containers, plastic utensils, etc that he can play with and bang on without going into the other cabinents.  You can get these things at dollar tree store if you do not want to use existing items. Boundaries is the name of the game for a toddler in the 2 yr old range and so far he is running all over you guys by beating you at it.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I never baby proofed anything. They learned by "no"s and pops on the hand. And they are not allowed in my kitchen at all, ever! Even the kids i baby sit learned really fast about that.
Pnukey
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yup. We just had to keep an eagle eye on the kids at that age, and teach them "NO" until they got it. They had the tupperware cabinet, and they loved it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN